Boy, 14, denies sex offense charges, released to home confinement

By Donna M. Perry, Sun Journal
Posted July 31, 2013, at 6:53 a.m.

FARMINGTON, Maine — A 14-year-old Franklin County boy denied committing a sexual offense Tuesday in a juvenile court.

Judge Kevin Cuddy released the teenager to home confinement under his grandparents’ care.

Franklin County Detective Ken Charles arrested the boy on Friday on a felony charge of unlawful sexual contact against a child under age 12. He is also charged with tampering with a witness, informant, juror or victim.

The boy’s attorney, Adam Sherman, entered denials to the charges on the boy’s behalf.

The teenager had been at the Maine View Youth Development Center in Charleston until he was brought to court on Tuesday.

Judge Cuddy told the boy he faces significant charges. It is up to the teenager whether he will spend more nights at the detention center, he told him.

His behavior will be monitored during the next four weeks and be noted to the court, he said. The teen can either demonstrate his behavior through “acting as a jerk” or demonstrate it through responsibility, Cuddy said.

The judge accepted an agreement outlining what the boy needs to do over the next month. A condition of that agreement is to have no contact with the victim.

The boy is scheduled for a hearing on Aug. 28 in juvenile court.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/31/news/lewiston-auburn/boy-14-denies-sex-offense-charges-released-to-home-confinement/ printed on July 23, 2014