Minor fire causes Rockland motel evacuation

Posted July 24, 2013, at 7:48 a.m.
Last modified July 24, 2013, at 2:41 p.m.

ROCKLAND, Maine — A fire in a bathroom exhaust fan forced the evacuation of occupants of a downtown Rockland motel on Tuesday evening.

There were no injuries and damage was very minor, according to the Fire Department.

The fire was called in to the department at 6:40 p.m. by an occupant of a first-floor room at the Navigator Motor Inn. An electrical problem with an exhaust fan in the ceiling of that bathroom caused the fire, according to Assistant Rockland Fire Chief Mikial Mazzeo.

The fire was out by the time the department arrived because the electrical problem tripped the circuit for that room.

The motel manager pulled the fire alarm to alert the remainder of the residents of the 81-room motel.

Mazzeo said there was smoke in that bathroom and in a room above it but there was no smoke damage. The department stayed for an hour, clearing out what smoke was present and making sure that the fire had not spread.

“We were very fortunate it was not more serious,” Mazzeo said.

The smoke alarm had not gone off because of the small amount of smoke and because the fan was located above the sprinkler.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Midcoast