Fire started by grease cooking on kitchen stove destroys Woodland home

Posted July 23, 2013, at 4:51 p.m.

WOODLAND, Maine — A Woodland family escaped injury but lost their home and many of their belongings Tuesday morning after a fire ripped through their residence.

Caribou Fire Chief Scott Susi said that the fire at the home of Mike Doody on Colby Siding Road was reported just after 9:30 a.m.

According to Susi, an occupant of the dwelling was melting grease on the kitchen stove for cooking and “walked away from it for a moment.”

“It popped and caught the wall on fire instantaneously and went right to eaves,” the chief said. “The house was fully involved when we got there.”

Firefighters were able to douse the two-story structure quickly, and their actions allowed the family to salvage some of their belongings. The residence was destroyed, however, but the family does have insurance.

The Caribou Fire Department received assistance from the Presque Isle, Stockholm and Limestone Fire Departments, as well as North Lakes Fire and Rescue.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business