May 20, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

Arrests made on terrorizing charges in Farmington after second incident involving baseball bat and sticks

By Ann Bryant, Sun Journal

FARMINGTON, Maine — Police made three arrests on charges of terrorizing last week when visitors returned to Sunny Hill Apartments on the Fairbanks Road with a baseball bat and sticks.

During a previous incident, a man was hit in the forehead with a bat during a confrontation between two groups involving tenants and visitors.

“Two days later, the same thing involving the same people happened again,” Rachel Heseltine, Farmington Police Department secretary said.

Police arrested David Shanley, 25, and Britney Whitney, 20, both of Farmington, and Shawn Burnell, 20, of Phillips on charges of terrorizing Wednesday after receiving a call about 8 p.m. of people carrying baseball bats and a machete being in the building. A machete was not found, Heseltine said. The three do not live in the building.

On Friday morning, the charge against Whitney was dropped and she was released from Franklin County Detention Center, according to the Franklin County district attorney’s office.

The trio went into the apartment building Wednesday with baseball bats, a wooden dowel and a grade stake to terrorize people from the previous incident, Heseltine related from Farmington Officer Ryan Wagner’s report.

There were no injuries in Wednesday’s incident, she said.

Based on interviews by Wagner, Sgt. Michael Adcock and Officer Bridgette Gilbert, the three were there to confront about eight tenants.

Police were called to Sunny Hill Apartments about noon Wednesday for a similar potential confrontation. That incident did not develop, Farmington Officer Ryan Rosie said Wednesday afternoon.

There are two groups of people involved. Police have not determined why they are fighting, Heseltine said.

Police are still investigating Monday’s incident. They were called to the apartment building about 6 p.m., moments after receiving a report of a man walking on Fairbanks Road carrying a baseball bat and looking angry, Adcock previously said.

The unidentified man injured by the bat Monday was taken to Franklin Memorial Hospital by NorthStar ambulance.

Multiple people have received police summonses from the Monday incident and there may be more. It’s still being reviewed, she said.

The case is basically one group’s word against another group’s word, she said.

Shanley bailed from Franklin County Detention Center Thursday on $250 cash. Burnell remains there as of Friday morning, according to a jail officer.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like