Alabama’s McCarron sidesteps Manziel issue
Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron decided to pass on Thursday when asked about fellow QB Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M and their recent experience as roommates at the Manning Passing Academy.
Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner as a redshirt freshman, made news last weekend when he left the Manning camp in Louisiana early after saying he overslept. Media reports suggested that he might be hung over. There also was a report that McCarron and Manziel were seen together at a bar.
“I can’t answer on Johnny Manziel’s part. My name’s AJ,” McCarron said when asked about Manziel’s explanation.
“Everything that has to do with him, he’s his own man. I’m not going to speak on another man’s business. That’s how I was raised — if it doesn’t have anything to do with you, don’t speak of it.
“I know how I handle myself in public, how I carry myself in front of people. That’s what I’m worried about, trying to be the best player and best person off the field that I can be for my family and the university.”
LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger weighed in on the topic during the SEC Media Days.
“It’s tough. There’s social events at night that they have and there’s definitely temptation to do something foolish,” Mettenberger said. “He’s still a 20-year-old kid. He’s been put into a huge spotlight and limelight and it’s tough to handle. Hopefully, he’ll learn from this and just become a better person.”
Derek Lowe retires after 17 seasons
Pitcher Derek Lowe has retired from baseball after a 17-year big-league career.
Lowe, 40, was released by the Texas Rangers in late May after posting a 9.00 ERA in 13 innings, including three home runs, and he hasn’t found another job.
“I’m officially no longer going to play the game,” Lowe told Tom Pelissero of USA Today. “It’s still enjoyable, but the role I was having wasn’t fulfilling.”
Lowe went 176-157 and saved 86 games in 2,671 1/3 innings with seven different teams. He was part of the 2004 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox, and started the decisive Game 7 of the American League Championship Series, as well as the clinching Game 4 of World Series sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals.
Son of ex-coach Sandusky seeks name change
Matt Sandusky, the adopted son of former Penn State assistant football coach and convicted child sex abuser Jerry Sandusky, wants a new name.
Matt Sandusky, 33, has filed for a name change, a spokeswoman for the court clerk’s office in Centre County, Pennsylvania, said on Thursday.
The new name he wanted to be known by was not made public. Though the clerk’s office would reveal Sandusky wanted to change his name, the file was sealed and unavailable to the public, the spokeswoman said. A judge was expected to set a hearing date on the motion.
Jerry Sandusky is serving a state prison sentence of 30 to 60 years on his conviction for 45 counts of sexual abuse of children.
His case rocked the world of college football, and led to the firing of renowned Penn State University Head Coach Joe Paterno, as well as the then-president of the university, Graham Spanier.
Matt Sandusky, then known as Matt Heichel, was taken into foster care in 1996 and subsequently was adopted by Jerry Sandusky and his wife, Dottie.
In June 2011, about the same time as Jerry Sandusky’s trial, Matt Sandusky said through his lawyer that he, too, had been a molestation victim of Jerry Sandusky.
Penn State to spend $60 million to settle some claims
Penn State University’s board of trustees authorized roughly $60 million in payments to settle most of the abuse claims brought forth
during the Jerry Sandusky trial, according to a Wall Street Journal report.
The settlement covers about 25 of the approximately 30 claims made by men who say they were abused by Sandusky, a former Nittany Lions
assistant coach. The fate of the remaining claims is unclear, the report said, including at least one civil lawsuit against the school.
Convicted last year, Sandusky is serving a 30-to-60-year prison sentence for sexually abusing 10 boys over more than a decade. The scandal brought down the university and destroyed the legacy of longtime head coach Joe Paterno, who was fired as a result, and died in January 2012.
Kings sign captain Brown to 8-year extension
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown has signed an eight-year contract extension, joining a number of key players committed to the club long-term, the NHL team said on Thursday.
Brown, who helped the Kings win a Stanley Cup in 2011, had one year left on his current deal and, as a result, will remain a King through the 2021-22 season, the team said in a statement.
He joined Jeff Carter (signed through 2022), Drew Doughty (2019), Jonathan Quick (2023), Mike Richards (2020) and Slava Voynov (2019) for the long haul with the Kings.
Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed but multiple media reports said the extension is worth $47 million.
Brown, 28, has played his entire nine-year NHL career with the Kings and became the franchise’s first player ever to hoist the Stanley Cup when the Kings beat the New Jersey Devils in the 2012 Stanley Cup Final.
Troubled Cowboys DT Brent retires
Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Josh Brent announced his retirement two days before the team was due to report to training camp so he can focus on his off-field issues.
Brent is facing intoxication manslaughter charges stemming from a car accident in December in which Jerry Brown, a practice squad linebacker for the Cowboys and a close friend, was killed. He then allegedly tested positive for marijuana twice and was held in jail for 11 days for violating the terms of his bond release before being released last weekend.
Brent was not expected to play in 2013 as he is due in court Friday and his trial on the manslaughter charge is scheduled to begin Sept. 23.
“This is the right decision for me, and something that I have given a lot of thought to,” Brent, 25, said in a statement. “I am at a point where my main focus is about getting priorities in my life in order. Those priorities are more important than football. Doing the right things in life are more important than football. I love the game very much. I love my teammates, but this is the right thing for me to do.”
Although Brent had remained on the Cowboys’ roster, he did not take part in offseason workouts and wasn’t expected to participate in training camp. Last season, Brent played in 12 games, including five starts.
Orioles agree to terms with Cuban outfielder
BALTIMORE — The Orioles have agreed to terms with Cuban outfielder Dariel Alvarez, according to an industry source.
The Orioles scouted Alvarez in Fort Lauderdale last month, as did four other clubs. He will report to the club’s spring training facility for a physical and then officially sign a deal as early as this weekend. Because the deal isn’t finalized, the source couldn’t disclose the signing bonus.
The 24-year-old Alvarez defected from Cuba last summer, played in Mexico and was declared a free agent in January and is now living in Florida.
The Orioles consider Alvarez a five-tool player who can play all three outfield positions and can quickly move up the team’s minor league system, much like Cuban defector Henry Urrutia, who will likely join the major league club on Friday after just 67 minor league games.
Alvarez is the second Cuban outfielder the Orioles have signed under executive vice president Dan Duquette. Last July, the team gave Urrutia a $778,500 signing bonus, but he didn’t arrive in the U.S. until March. Once Urrutia arrived, his offensive skills were apparent quickly. He hit .365/.427/.531 between Double-A and Triple-A.
The Dodgers, Yankees, Rangers, Royals, Mariners, Padres and Diamondbacks reportedly showed interest in Alvarez.
Because Alvarez is over the age of 23 and played professionally in Cuba for three years, he won’t count against the Orioles’ international bonus pool figures. The Orioles traded their No. 3 and 4 international bonus slots to the Cubs earlier this month to acquire right-hander Scott Feldman.