NORWAY, Maine — An early-morning mobile home fire that left a mother and two children homeless Wednesday began with an overturned oil lamp, fire officials said.
Everyone, including the family cat, escaped safely, Norway fire Chief Dennis Yates said.
Michelle Ducas reported the fire in her home to emergency workers at 2:29 a.m. Within two to three minutes, firefighters began arriving at her address in the Town & Country Mobile Home Village.
Three firefighters live in the neighborhood and quickly reported that Ducas and her children were safe. Within six minutes, Yates arrived. He saw smoke billowing out a bedroom window and flames erupting from the front door.
When the firetrucks arrived a couple of minutes later, the fire was quickly snuffed.
“It took us only about 15 minutes to push it back,” Yates said.
Ducas told Yates that she knocked over a decorative lamp near the front of the mobile home.
“I found it right where she said it was,” the chief said.
Fire departments in Paris and Oxford assisted at the scene.
Eight hours later, the home appeared standing, but soot covered the spaces above the doors and windows. Toys and a mattress sat outside.
Yates said he was unsure whether the home will be a total loss.