Yanks’ Jeter out until after All-Star break
New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is sidelined again, although this time the Yankees expect him to be out just a short time.
General manager Brian Cashman told reporters Friday that Jeter has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 quadriceps strain and will not play this weekend. A Grade 1 strain is the least severe level.
Jeter will not play again until after the All-Star break, but, at least for now, he won’t be placed on the disabled list.
He will be evaluated further after the All-Star break.
Jeter was injured on Thursday in his first game of the season after returning from ankle surgery.
“It’s frustrating. I don’t know what else you want me to say.” Jeter said in a statement issued by the team. “I worked hard to get to the point of rejoining the team yesterday. It’s not how you draw it up, but hopefully I’ll be back out there soon and help this team win some games.”
According to HardballTalk.com, Cashman told reporters “it’s possible” Jeter was brought back to the Yankees’ lineup too quickly. He added, “it was my call to move him up … he was ready.”.
LSU running back Jeremy Hill pleaded guilty to simple battery and received two years of probation at an arraignment in the 19th Judicial District Court in Baton Rouge.
Hill and other man, Robert Bayardo, admitted in court to punching a man in a parking lot outside of Reggie’s Bar in Tigerland. The April 17 incident was caught on a cell phone camera. It shows Hill punching 20-year-old Connor Baldridge and then laughing.
Except for football-related activities, Hill will be under a curfew.
Hill was suspended from the team indefinitely in April. It is not known if he will be allowed to play by coach Les Miles.
Hill is also on probation from pleading guilty in January 2012 to having sex with a 14-year-old girl. His probation from that misdemeanor could be revoked. He is scheduled to have his probation reviewed on Aug. 16.
Because MLB Players Association chief Michael Weiner’s cancer is not improving, former director Donald Fehr could return, according to Yahoo! Sports.
Weiner, 51, was diagnosed with a brain tumor a year ago and is on his fourth round of treatment. That has led to MLBPA officials discussing the possibility of having Fehr return in some capacity.
Fehr and the MLBPA declined comment to Yahoo! Sports.
Fehr, 64, led the players union for 26 years before stepping down in 2009. He was replaced by Weiner. Fehr has led the NHLPA since 2010.
It is not clear what Fehr’s role with the MLBPA would be if he does return. He reportedly has not discussed returning to MLB or leaving the NHL. Fehr led the NHLPA during last year’s lockout, which shortened the season to 48 games.
During Fehr’s tenure as the MLBPA chief, the league went through a collusion case in 1987 and the 1994 strike that cancelled the World Series.
The Cleveland Cavaliers announced the signings of guard Jarrett Jack and forward Earl Clark on Friday.
Terms of the deals were not disclosed by the team, but Jack’s contract is for four years and could reach $25 million, according to multiple media reports.
Jack, 29, averaged 12.9 points, 3.1 rebounds and 5.5 assists in 29.8 minutes over 79 games for the Golden State Warriors last season.
Clark, 25, averaged 7.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 23.1 minutes over 59 games for the Los Angeles Lakers last season.
Center fielder Dexter Fowler and shortstop Troy Tulowitzki were activated Thursday from the 15-day disabled list, fortifying a lineup that had been undermanned and at times woefully weak.
Fowler, who was eligible to come off the disabled list Thursday, returned to his leadoff spot in the lineup, and Tulowitzki, who was eligible to be activated at any time, hit cleanup.
Fowler entered the game hitting .291 in 70 games, with 13 doubles, two triples, 10 homers, 26 RBI and 49 runs scored. He had led off in 43 games, hitting .301 with nine doubles, two triples, seven homers, 19 RBI and 32 runs scored in addition to a .411 on-base percentage and a .506 slugging percentage.
Tulowitzki returned to the lineup batting .347 with 16 doubles, 16 home runs, 51 RBI and 41 runs scored in 61 games, with a .413 on-base percentage and a .635 slugging percentage.
Minor league pitchers Paul Davis and Estarlin Morel were suspended by Major League Baseball on Friday after violating the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Davis, a right-hander in the San Francisco Giants system, was banned 50 games without pay after a second violation for a drug of abuse. Davis is on the active roster of the low-A Augusta GreenJackets of the South Atlantic League.
Morel, a right-hander in the New York Mets system, was suspended 25 games without pay for a violation of the program. Morel is on the roster of the low-A Savannah Sand Gnats of the South Atlantic League.