Refrigerator malfunction ignites fire in Bangor apartment building

Bangor firefighters respond to a blaze at 378-380 Hammond St. early Monday morning.
Photos courtesy Cindy Michaels
Bangor firefighters respond to a blaze at 378-380 Hammond St. early Monday morning.
By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted July 08, 2013, at 6:53 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A malfunctioning refrigerator caused a fire that damaged a Hammond Street apartment building early Monday.

Bangor Assistant Fire Chief Anthony Riitano said firefighters were called to the scene at 378-380 Hammond St. around 3:45 a.m. The fire started in a first-floor apartment.

One man was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation, Riitano said. He was not seriously hurt.

“He was in the building longer than everyone else,” Riitano said.

Some smoke and a little fire was spewing from the rear of the first-floor apartment when crews from Bangor, Brewer and Veazie arrived, Riitano said. The fire spread to the second floor, the assistant chief said, but crews were able to extinguish it quickly.

Riitano said there was “extensive damage” in the apartment where the fire started, as well as fire and smoke damage to other units.

The blaze was under control in about 30 or 40 minutes, he said.

Seven of the 10 units in the building were occupied, and all residents are receiving aid from the Red Cross.

The building, which Riitano said is insured, has been turned over to its owner.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/08/news/bangor/bangor-firefighters-respond-to-building-fire-on-hammond-street/ printed on October 1, 2014