October 22, 2017
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bald Eagles | Medicaid Expansion

Cooking fire destroys Winterport home

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff
Updated:

WINTERPORT, Maine — A fast-moving fire destroyed a family’s home Friday afternoon.

The cause of the fire at the home of Jeremy Porter at 411 Monroe Road was a cooking accident, according to Winterport Fire Chief Thomas Doe. He said something spilled on the stove and the fire spread quickly.

The homeowner and a neighbor called the Fire Department shortly before 5:30 p.m., Doe said. When the first crew members arrived, fire was shooting out all the windows and eaves of the house, he said.

There were no injuries, and a detached garage was not damaged.

Crews from Monroe and Newburgh assisted in fighting the fire. The chief said additional crews were needed to give firefighters breaks because of the hot weather.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like