February 21, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Tourney Time 2018 | Hannaford Strike | Winter Olympics

Two hospitalized in separate early morning accidents in Lebanon

By Mikaela K. Reynolds, Foster's Daily Democrat

LEBANON, Maine — The local rescue and fire departments and Maine State Police arrived to the scene of two early morning accidents on Saturday in which two occupants were transported and one vehicle was found with no one inside.

Police arrived to the first accident, which was reported at around 1:45 a.m., on Carl Broggi Highway, about one mile east of Center Road. There they found a car rolled over in a swampy area along the highway.

“When I arrived on scene, I located a 2006 Pontiac G6 Sedan that had been traveling east on Carl Broggi Highway when it left the roadway, rolling over at least twice before coming to rest in a swampy area. Both occupants were able to get out of the vehicle with the help of passing motorists,” said Assistant Rescue Chief Jason Cole, who was the first to arrive on the scene.

The driver of the car was an 18-year-old male and his passenger was a 16-year-old female, both from East Lebanon. Officials say both were wearing their seatbelts at the time of the accident.

Both occupants were transported to Frisbie Hospital by Lebanon Ambulance with what officials confirmed as non-life threatening injuries.

The Pontiac had to be towed from the scene. Maine State Police are investigating the accident.

The second accident was reported almost two hours later at 3:25 a.m. when a motorist passing by the scene of the first accident alerted officials, who were cleaning up the scene, to another accident up the street.

The accident occurred on Center Road near Upper Cross Road in Center Lebanon. Again, Cole was the first unit to arrive on the scene, where he found a truck off the road in a ditch.

“When I arrived on scene, I located a Ford F-150 truck that appeared to miss the ending of Upper Cross Road where it intersects with Center Road, went off the road striking the mailbox and coming to rest in the ditch. It appeared the accident had just happened but no occupants were on scene,” said Cole.

To locate the people involved in the accident and ensure they weren’t nearby or injured, emergency crews used a thermal imaging camera, but no one was found.

The truck was towed from the scene. Rescue crews remained on site until 4:30 a.m.

Maine State Police are still investigating the accident.

According to a officials, the site has been the scene of several accidents in the past year, including a double fatality.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like