November 19, 2017
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Videos | Donald Trump | Sexual Assault

State dismisses charges against man accused of showing explicit material to child

By Donna M. Perry, Sun Journal
Updated:
FRANKLIN COUNTY JAIL | BDN
FRANKLIN COUNTY JAIL | BDN
David Paquette

FARMINGTON, Maine — The state has dismissed sex charges against a former Rangeley man who has been in jail since his arrest in December.

David A. Paquette, 35, now of Rumford, had faced felony charges of unlawful sexual contact sexual misconduct against a child under 12.

Paquette was arrested on the charge by Rangeley police in December after they launched an investigation when they received a referral from Maine Department of Health and Human Services, Rangeley police Chief Dennis Leahy said at the time.

According to the state’s complaint at the time, Paquette knowingly displayed sexually explicit material to the child with the intent to encourage her to engage in a sexual act or sexual contact.

The case was dismissed Monday pending further investigation, Assistant District Attorney Joshua Robbins said Friday. The state has not decided if Paquette will be recharged, Robbins said.

Paquette pleaded not guilty to the charges in February. He had been held on $20,000 cash bail.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like