Bruins’ Horton has separated shoulder
Boston Bruins forward Nathan Horton is listed as day to day with an undisclosed injury, but WEEI reported Friday that he has a shoulder injury.
According to the Boston radio station, Horton has a chronic left shoulder separation that started when he got into a fight with the Pittsburgh Penguins’ Jarome Iginla during the regular season.
Horton has reportedly received shots before each playoff game for the pain. His shoulder has popped out several times during the playoffs and caused him to leave Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals Wednesday when he bumped into Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson.
He is expected to have surgery after the season.
Despite the injury, Horton is the league’s leading scorer during the playoffs with 18 points (seven goals and 11 assists) in 17 games.
MLB suspends eight over Dodgers-D’backs brawl
NEW YORK — Eight people, including five players, were suspended while four others were fined for their part in Tuesday’s bench-clearing brawl between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks, Major League Baseball announced on Friday.
Diamondbacks pitcher Ian Kennedy received the longest suspension after he was banned 10 games for intentionally throwing at the head of Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke after both teams had already been warned.
Arizona infielder Eric Hinske received a five-game ban while Dodgers pitcher J.P. Howell and Dodgers outfielder Skip Schumaker were each hit with two-game suspensions.
Dodgers pitcher Ronald Belisario received a one-game suspension, with all players deemed to have committed “aggressive actions during the incidents.”
The Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire was handed a two-game suspension, while Dodgers manager Don Mattingly and D-backs manager Kirk Gibson were both banned for one game.
The MLB said the suspensions would begin on immediately on Friday.
Another four players, Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke, Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig, Arizona catcher Miguel Montero and Arizona outfielder Gerardo Parra, were all fined undisclosed amounts.
Cruz to sign Giants $2.879 million tender
New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz told ESPN on Friday that he was on his way to the team’s facility to sign his $2.879 million first-round restricted free-agent tender.
“I’m going to sign my tender today and will continue talks for a long-term deal before camp starts,” Cruz said.
If Cruz does not sign the tender Friday, the Giants have the right to reduce it to just over $600,000.
Cruz, 26, has made 168 catches for 2,628 yards with 19 touchdowns combined over the last two years.
Despite that, he was the 140th highest-paid wide receiver last season at $543,875, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
NBA fines Heat C Bosh $5,000 for flopping
Miami Heat center Chris Bosh was fined $5,000 for violating the NBA’s anti-flopping rules during Game 4 of the NBA Finals, the league announced Friday.
Bosh fell to the ground after making contact with San Antonio Spurs’ Tim Duncan with 6:07 left in the second quarter of Thursday’s game.
The Heat went on to beat the Spurs 109-93 in San Antonio.
Hopkins-Murat title fight cancelled
Bernard Hopkins’ IBF light heavyweight title bout with challenger Karo Murat was cancelled after the German was unable to secure a U.S. visa.
The cancellation was announced Friday by Golden Boy Promotions.
The fight was scheduled for July 13 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
Hopkins, who is 53-6-2 with 32 KOs, said he was disappointed the event was cancelled.
Murat, 29, is 25-1-1 with 13 knockouts.
Dodgers to keep $6 billion from TV deal
The Los Angeles Dodgers get to keep $6 billion from their new TV contract with Time Warner Cable after settling with Major League Baseball.
The Los Angeles Times reported Friday that the two sides came to an agreement in US Bankruptcy Court. The court previously had jurisdiction over the Dodgers’ business dealings when previous owner Frank McCourt sold the team and declared bankruptcy.
Guggenheim Partners, the team’s current ownership group, had been in a legal tussle with MLB over the television contract.
The Dodgers, however, will have to pay nearly $2 billion in league revenue sharing as part of the agreement.
Guggenheim Partners executive Todd Boehly told the Times that the team could add another pair of $100 million contracts to the roster next season.
Henry Silverman, senior managing director of Guggenheim, said it could also spend another $100 million toward Dodger Stadium upgrades.
Kidd wants Frank as an assistant
New Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd invited Lawrence Frank to be part of his staff.
Kidd, 40, retired as a player last week and accepted the Nets head coaching job this week. Frank coached Kidd from 2003-08 when he was the New Jersey Nets point guard a decade ago. Frank last coached the Detroit Pistons, who fired him after the regular season ended.
Frank lives with his wife in New Jersey. She had surgery for an undisclosed illness earlier this year and reportedly faces a long recovery. Still, Kidd made the offer to Frank.
“The invitation is out there, so it’s up to him,” Kidd told ESPN Friday. “…He’s in a special situation. He’s at home, his wife is sick, so I understand coming off of coaching and wanting a year off with his family, so I respect that. The big thing is, he knows how much I love him and how much I need him, but family comes first, and I respect that.”
Kidd said he is in the process of putting together his coaching staff, including recruiting Frank.