May 27, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Bangor man facing multiple charges after car chase that ends with crash into house

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A 38-year-old local man is facing multiple charges after leading police on a high-speed pursuit in a stolen car on the city’s east side which ended with his crashing the vehicle into a house early Thursday morning, police say.

Officer Shawn Green and other authorities went to Dartmouth Street around 2:30 a.m. for a reported car alarm, according to Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards.

Edwards said the car’s alarm went off when the suspect, Vladamir Zintchenko, got in the vehicle.

By the time Green arrived at Dartmouth Street, the vehicle was gone, according to Edwards. Officer Kyle Pelkey, who was backing up Green, reported to dispatch that a vehicle matching the description of the stolen car had passed him on Mount Hope Avenue near Saratoga Avenue, Edwards said.

Pelkey had lost sight of the car when dispatch confirmed the vehicle that passed him was the stolen car. Green subsequently spotted the car on Mount Hope Avenue, according to Edwards.

Green attempted to pull the vehicle over, but Zintchenko did not stop and engaged police in a pursuit, according to Edwards.

Green pursued the suspect as he sped through a blinking red light at Mount Hope Avenue and Howard Street without stopping, Edwards said. Zintchenko continued through Mount Hope and Fern Street.

The chase ended when Zintchenko crashed into a house at 232 Grove St. The crash totaled the vehicle and cracked the house’s foundation, the sergeant said.

John Keeler, who is renting the house, was sleeping.

“I didn’t recall hearing the impact,” he said later Thursday morning. Keeler said he was awakened by police shouting. He came outside around 3:15 a.m. and learned what occurred.

Zintchenko is being treated for minor injuries at Eastern Maine Medical Center and is facing charges of eluding an officer, criminal speeding, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and operating after his license was suspended, the sergeant said.

Correction: An earlier version of this story said the car crashed at corner of Grove and Mount Hope Avenue.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like