BANGOR, Maine — The U.S. Small Business Administration presented its annual small business awards to Maine businesses on June 4 at the Spectacular Event Center in Bangor.
“Small businesses are the backbone of our economy, and recognizing those who work so hard to achieve success is truly an honor,” Marilyn Geroux, SBA district director for Maine, said in a press release.
This year’s awardees included:
- Matthew A. Qualey, president of Qualey Granite and Quartz in Veazie, who received the most prestigious SBA award presented in Maine, the Small Business Person of the Year Award.
- Terry J. Ingram, president and CEO of Allagash International Inc., received the Small Business Exporter of the Year Award.
- Dennis Lajoie, CEO of Community Concepts Finance Corp. in Lewiston, received the Financial Services Champion Award.
- Alfred J. “Fred” Lebel, chairman of Maine Heritage Weavers in Monmouth, received the Veteran Owned Small Business of the Year Award.
- Nancy O’Brien, owner of Fiore LLC, located in Bar Harbor, Rockland and Bangor, received the Woman-Owned Small Business of the Year Award.
- Kurt and Kathy Cressey, Owners of Pack Baskets of Maine in Orrington, received the Micro-Enterprise of the Year Award.
- Jennifer and Jason Daigle, owners of Lakeview Restaurant & Camping Resort, received the Jeffrey Butland Award for Maine and New England.
- Cory Laplante, owner of Northern Prosthetics in Presque Isle, received the Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award for Maine and New England.
- David Allen, president of Howell Laboratories in Bridgton, received the Subcontractor of the Year for Maine and New England.
District Director’s Awards also were presented to:
- Bangor Savings Bank for producing the greatest number of SBA 7(a) loans in Maine.
- People’s United Bank for being the top overall lender in Maine by dollar volume.
- TD Bank for being the top 7(a) lender in Maine by dollar volume.
- Kennebunk Savings Bank for being the top-performing third-party lender in Maine.
- Granite State Economic Development Corp. for being the top performing 504 lender in Maine.
- Norstate Federal Credit Union for being the top performing credit union in Maine.
- Coastal Enterprises Inc. for being the top performing microlender in Maine.