BANGOR, Maine — Hundreds of Central Maine Power and Bangor Hydro customers remained without electricity Monday evening in the aftermath of powerful thunderstorms Sunday, but power was expected to be restored within hours.
According to its website, Central Maine Power had 1,715 customers without electricity as of 6 p.m. Monday, with the bulk of those (1,210) in Oxford County.
Central Maine Power estimated a total of 31,000 customers lost electricity because of the storms. The company’s website indicated 171 customers in Franklin County and 174 in Piscataquis County remained without power Monday evening.
Also at 6 p.m., 245 Bangor Hydro customers remained without power, according to that company’s website.
Bangor Hydro’s website indicated that power was expected to be restored to the affected areas by later Monday evening.
Bangor Hydro spokeswoman Susan Faloon said electricity had been restored to all of Maine Public Service’s customers by 4 a.m. Monday.
Dover-Foxcroft Fire Chief Gerald Guyotte said several roads in Dover-Foxcroft and Atkinson had to be closed because of downed tree limbs and power lines that were felled by the storms.
Guyotte said he received 11 calls for obstructions in roads.
“We had our fair share,” Guyotte said early Monday afternoon. “We were out until 1 a.m. and then got called back at 9:30 for a pole on Essex Street [in Dover-Foxcroft]. A primary wire came down and set fire to the pole.”
Dexter received 29 calls for road obstructions.
“It’s been hectic up here,” said Dexter’s Asst. Fire Chief Rick Stocker. “Down trees, power lines, trees on lines, you name it.”
A man was trapped inside his pickup truck on High Street in Dexter after a tree fell on top of his truck. He was uninjured.
“We blocked the whole road off and had to cut the tree piece by piece,” said Stocker.
Guyotte and Stocker said roads in their towns were open by Monday afternoon.
“It was a good job done by all,” said Stocker. “And I thank citizens for understanding and staying out of our way.”