Clothes dryer ignites fire that damages Corinth home

Posted May 29, 2013, at 9:43 a.m.

CORINTH, Maine — A clothes dryer is being blamed for a fire that damaged a house on Ledgehill Road on Tuesday morning.

Corinth Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said the couple who owns the home was not home when the fire broke out around 9:15 a.m.

“There was heavy fire at the rear of the building and smoke pushing through the roof,” Bragdon said.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze at the single-story residence in about 30 minutes, Bragdon said. Corinth firefighters were on the scene within five minutes of the call coming in.

“That makes a big difference,” Bragdon said.

The clothes dryer was running while the couple was not home, according to Bragdon.

“It’s never a good idea to run those when you’re not home,” he advised. “You’ve got heat and lint — it’s a bad combination when you’re not home.”

No firefighters were injured in the blaze, while the home had severe smoke, heat and water damage but is repairable, Bragdon said. The homeowners are insured, he said.

Charleston, Bradford, Hudson, Glenburn and Kenduskeag firefighters assisted Corinth at the scene.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor