Pigs killed in Newburgh barn fires

Posted May 25, 2013, at 3:13 p.m.

NEWBURGH, Maine — Between 30 and 40 pigs died in a Saturday fire that destroyed two barns at a farm on the Lindsey Road, according to Fire Chief Glen Williamson.

Firefighters were called out about noon to a reported “explosion and possible structure fire,” Williamson said after the fire had been contained.

When firefighters arrived, the barns, which were attached to each other, were fully engulfed in flames.

Williamson said that the home and garage on the property, which is owned by Steve Philbrick, were saved.

The fire chief said the origin of the blaze appeared to be a heat lamp and the explosion most likely was caused by a propane tank.

Williamson said he did not know how many animals survived the fire but said it was more than the number that died.

Firefighters from Hampden and Dixmont were called in to assist Newburgh firefighters.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Penobscot