Hot rod becomes hot ride when Belfast man’s motorcycle catches fire

Posted May 24, 2013, at 3:36 p.m.

BELFAST, Maine — A local man was singed, but not badly injured, when the motorcycle he was riding Friday on Back Searsport Road in Belfast caught fire.

Lloyd Stover, Jr., of Searsport, felt his motorcycle get hot around noon, according to Chief Mike McFadden of the Belfast Police Department.

“He looked down and saw the bike was on fire,” McFadden said.

Stover hopped off, and moments later his vintage ride was engulfed with flames. The Belfast Fire Department put out the fire, which McFadden said destroyed the motorcycle.

“It was just a mess of wires and steel when it was done burning,” the chief said. “You could tell it was a motorcycle, but you couldn’t tell what kind of motorcycle.”

Stover had a “very minor burn” on his right hand and also burned the hair off his arm. He did not require medical attention, McFadden said.

“I don’t remember ever dealing with a motorcycle that caught fire,” he added.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business