May 25, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Farm Bill | Memorial Day | Pigs Buried

Phippsburg cottage fire snuffed out fast

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff

PHIPPSBURG, Maine — Firefighters on Tuesday quickly doused a blaze at a summer cottage overlooking Head Beach.

Phippsburg Fire Chief James Totman said a local firefighter who lived near the cottage on Shore Road got a head start by spraying a garden hose on the burning wall.

“It was going good when the first man got there, and actually when our first truck got there, it was a very good stop, especially with the distance we had to go,” said Totman, whose crew drove six miles on Route 209 to the tip of the peninsula.

Crews from Bath and West Bath responded after Totman pulled the first alarm, but they weren’t brought into the fire because the dirt road to the cottage was too small.

Firefighters were at the scene nearly 90 minutes, he said.

Totman said the fire was caused by an electrical problem. He estimated the damage totaled at least $10,000. No injuries were reported.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like