June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Kyle Dube arrest, murder charge surprising to some who know him

By Alex Barber, BDN Staff

ORONO, Maine — Friends, employers and former classmates of Kyle Dube described different sides of the man charged with murder in connection with the death of 15-year-old Nichole Cable of Glenburn.

Dube, 20, was a member of the Orono High School Class of 2011. He worked at the Getchell Agency, a Bangor-based care provider for people with disabilities, until Friday when he reported to Penobscot County Jail to serve a 90-day sentence for charges stemming from a high-speed chase last year.

He also has a 4-year-old daughter, lives at a home on Maplewood Avenue in Orono with family members and was described by some as a “sweet, innocent” guy. Others said they had fallings out with him.

Dube had several run-ins with police.

Rachel Garber of Orono, a 2011 graduate of Orono High, said Tuesday that Dube didn’t seem like the type to be accused of murder.

“You go to school with someone, and you assume the people you’re with may get in trouble for little things like drugs or drinking, but you don’t expect anything this big ever,” said Garber.

Dube made his first appearance on the murder charge at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor on Wednesday morning. He did not enter a plea. He is being held at the Penobscot County Jail where last week he began serving his sentence on the unrelated charge.

Some who knew Dube spoke outside the courthouse after his appearance.

Zachary Day said he had known Cable for five years and knew Dube “a little bit.”

“I never really liked him,” Day said on Wednesday. “With Nichole gone and Kyle in jail, I hope he gets what he deserves.”

Freeman Weeks of Bangor said he was at the hearing to support his friend Day. He didn’t know Cable, but said he was friends with Dube before the two had a falling out.

“I’ve always had problems with [Dube],” said Weeks. “… But I didn’t think he’d do anything like this.”

Weeks said he was in eighth grade at James F. Doughty School in Bangor while Dube was a freshman at Bangor High School when they were friends. He didn’t comment on what broke up the friendship.

Dube attended Bangor High School before transferring to Orono High School during his senior year, according to Doug Smith, Riverside RSU 26 superintendent.

Dube being accused of murder didn’t fit what others said they had known about him.

Laura White, 24, of Bangor and Casey Clark, 24, of Brewer attended Dube’s first court appearance. Both said they knew Dube, who seemed to be a “sweet, innocent” guy. White said she and Dube were in the same group of friends that hung out at Great Skates in Bangor. She said they’ve known each other for the past seven years.

They said they were both there to support Cable’s friends and family.

“I don’t know what to think, I’m so confused,” White said.

White and Clark said Dube appeared to be a good, attentive father to his 4-year-old daughter.

Jessica Brideau said she had known Dube for about five years.

“He was like a father figure,” she said, adding that she was there to support Cable’s family. “He has a daughter who’s like my niece. I wouldn’t have expected him to do such a thing.”

Garber said Dube worked hard to graduate high school.

“It was such a surprise because we hung out in the guidance office and it seemed like he was trying to be on a good path, and then you see this happen,” she said. “It feels like a complete 180.”

Dube had worked at Doc’s Place, a Citgo Station on Stillwater Avenue in Bangor, in 2012. Manager Candace Pinkham said she remembered him.

“[He was a] great worker,” said Pinkham, who declined to answer any other questions.

He was employed until last week by the Getchell Agency, according to an attorney for the agency.

Attorney Ed Bearor declined to offer details of Dube’s employment with Getchell, citing the investigation into the murder. He provided general information about the agency’s hiring practices and operations in a written statement.

“We conduct a criminal background check of every applicant using the State Bureau of Information and we obtain a driving history from the Department of Motor Vehicles as well,” read the statement. “We also check references. It is our policy to ask prospective employees if they have ever been convicted of a crime.

“We operate 34 homes for 68 individuals with physical, emotional and cognitive disabilities in the greater Bangor area with staff that we refer to as house managers,” continued the statement. “Most homes, including the one Mr. Dube worked at, are staffed with at least two employees at all times so our residents of these homes are never alone with an employee.

“This is a horrible tragedy and we share the community’s grief,” the statement concluded.

Catherine Bradson, 20, also graduated from Orono High School with Dube and Garber. She said she didn’t fear Dube.

“There are people around here that I would avoid, but he’s not someone I would’ve ever avoided,” said Bradson. “I wouldn’t go and say, ‘let’s hang out,’ but he’s someone I would smile at and say, ‘hi.’”

Garber said she heard people talk about Dube hitting on younger girls.

Dube had recent brushes with the law.

He was arrested last June after he led police on a chase that reached speeds of 150 mph from Orono to Howland via Interstate 95 before it ended with his motorcycle hitting a police cruiser at the town offramp.

The chase resulted in charges of eluding police officers, driving to endanger and criminal speeding. He later pleaded guilty to the latter two charges and reported to Penobscot County Jail on Friday, where he began a 90-day sentence.

He was a juvenile, 17 years old, when he was charged with carrying a loaded firearm or crossbow in a motor vehicle, which resulted in a January 2011 conviction and $200 fine, according to court listings printed in the Bangor Daily News.

Dube also was charged with theft by unauthorized taking or transfer and burglary of motor vehicle and convicted of both crimes. In January 2012, he was fined $300 for both crimes, according to BDN archives.

Because of the disappearance of Cable and Dube’s subsequent murder arrest, Garber said she’s less trusting of new people.

“I think what also makes it shocking to us is that we all went to school with the same people for about 11 years and we know everyone so well so you automatically trust new people. No one locks their front door here because you don’t think you need to,” said Garber. “But to have this happen just up the street from me is weird. It’s scary. I honestly felt more scared. I always thought of Orono as being really safe.”

BDN writer Nick McCrea contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like