Jay man accused of saw attack pleads to reckless conduct

By Tony Reaves, Sun Journal
Posted May 16, 2013, at 6:03 a.m.

PARIS, Maine — A Jay man accused of beating a man and throwing a circular saw at him in August 2012 pleaded guilty to reckless conduct Wednesday in Oxford County Superior Court.

Scott R. Narhuminti, 42, received a one-year deferred disposition and must pay $1,500 in restitution to the victim. A charge of aggravated assault was dismissed in exchange for his plea. If Narhuminti successfully completes his deferred disposition, he can withdraw his plea and the case will be dismissed.

According to the arrest report by Oxford County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Michael Halacy, Narhuminti threw a circular saw at another man, hitting him and cutting his head and face on Aug. 2, 2012, in Canton. The man, who was locked in a bathroom when he called police, was transported to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for treatment.

Narhuminti had left the scene on foot before police arrived but was found at a nearby apartment. He and the victim had been drinking, according to the report. Narhuminti told police he and the victim had been fighting and the other man threw the saw at him first. Narhuminti said he was defending himself against the other man, Halacy said in his report.

The conditions of Narhuminti’s deferred disposition restrict him from excessive drinking, which the court defines as having a blood alcohol level of 0.08 or higher. He will be subject to searches of his home and testing by police.

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/16/news/lewiston-auburn/jay-man-accused-of-saw-attack-pleads-to-reckless-conduct/ printed on December 28, 2014