June 25, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Firefighters quickly extinguish fire at Corinth supermarket

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

CORINTH, Maine — Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a blaze at a busy supermarket on Route 15 early Wednesday afternoon.

Corinth Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said the fire at Whitney’s Supermarket was reported shortly after 11:30 a.m. and was under control shortly after noon.

“It was a pretty good stop,” he said. “We got it knocked down pretty quickly on arrival.”

The fire started on a loading dock at the rear of the store and was caused by a discarded cigarette, Bragdon said. There was no damage to the interior of the store, he added.

An alert store employee noticed the fire quickly and controlled it with a fire extinguisher before firefighters could arrive.

The quick extinguish prevented the fire from spreading to the roof of the store, Bragdon said. The chief added the store was evacuated.

“There were a lot of people in the store,” he said. “The last employees were evacuating when we got there.”

In addition to the flames outside on the loading dock, there was smoke in a back storage area, but firefighters got that under control quickly, Bragdon said.

The gas station located at the supermarket has since been reopened, while the supermarket itself will reopen Wednesday afternoon, the chief said.

Firefighters from Corinth, Bradford, Kenduskeag, Hudson, Glenburn, Charleston, Levant and Garland arrived to fight the blaze.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like