Search for missing men suspended; game wardens reviewing evidence

Posted May 14, 2013, at 11:11 a.m.
Last modified May 14, 2013, at 2:25 p.m.

RANGELEY, Maine — Recovery efforts for the bodies of two men in Rangeley Lake have been called off for the remainder of the day due to strong winds.

Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife spokesman Doug Rafferty said recovery efforts ceased around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

“They’re off the lake and they’ll be going back at it [Wednesday],” he said.

Efforts to locate the bodies of Kenneth Henderson, 40, of China and John Spencer, 41, of Litchfield had been suspended since Friday due to weather conditions. The body of Glenn Henderson, 43, of Sabattus was found Friday.

Windy conditions forced game wardens to halt efforts on Tuesday, according to Rafferty, but he said “they’ve identified a couple of targets, so they’ll review that.”

The spokesman said wardens will spend the remainder of Tuesday reviewing data captured by sonar equipment, and that divers hope to enter the water Wednesday. Rafferty wouldn’t offer specifics as to what the data was.

“Right now it’s just a target,” Rafferty said.

Spencer and Henderson have been missing since their snowmobiles plunged into the lake during a ride on New Year’s Eve.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Lewiston-Auburn