View Hampden, Me. in a larger map
HAMPDEN, Maine — A Hampden woman is being treated for burns at a Boston hospital after an efficiency apartment attached to a Main Road North home was damaged by fire late Wednesday night, officials said.
Jennifer Seekings, 37, had escaped the blaze by jumping out a second-story window, Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Thursday in a prepared statement.
McCausland said Seekings is being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston for burns to over half her body.
The fire was reported shortly before midnight, Hampden Fire Lt. Matthew St. Pierre said, and smoke and fire were pouring out of the apartment’s windows when firefighters arrived. The state fire marshal’s office determined a candle or cigarette near the tenant’s bed ignited the fire.
The second-story apartment is attached to the rear of the house at 350 Main Road North, St. Pierre said. Crews were able to keep the blaze from spreading to the house and had it under control in about 15 minutes.
McCausland said the owner of the house is Jennifer Seekings’ mother, Patricia. She and four others who reside in the house got out safely.
The house was spared from damage. The apartment had significant damage but is salvageable, St. Pierre said.
“It needs to be gutted out and heavily renovated, but it should be repairable,” St. Pierre said. “It’s going to require some significant renovation.”
St. Pierre said the house and apartment are both insured.
Bangor firefighters assisted Hampden at the scene, St. Pierre said.