BANGOR, Maine — One of two men charged with holding up a Veazie convenience store at gunpoint and committing a home invasion last year was sentenced Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to eight years in prison with all but three suspended.
Anthony Patricelli, 20, of Old Town also was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered to pay $130 in restitution to the victim of the home invasion.
Superior Court Justice William Anderson imposed the sentence recommended by defense attorney Seth Harrow of Bangor and Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County.
John Taylor, 20, of Old Town and Patricelli admitted robbing the Veazie MiniMart on U.S. Route 2 at about 8 p.m. Nov. 18, Roberts said. The men entered the store,demanded money from the owner and made off with about $500.
The weapon that Patricelli used in the robbery was a pellet gun that belonged to Taylor, but the clerk believed it was a real gun, Roberts told the judge Monday.
The defendant was not ordered to pay restitution to the store owner because the money taken in the robbery was covered by the store’s insurance, the prosecutor said after the sentencing.
Patricelli pleaded guilty in March to one count of robbery in connection with the convenience store holdup and to one count of robbery and burglary in connection with a Milford home invasion a few days after the Nov. 18 convenience store robbery.
The victims of the crimes did not appear in court Monday.
The defendant apologized for his actions and told the judge he committed his crimes to feed his addiction to prescription painkillers.
He was sentenced earlier this year on one misdemeanor count of possession of sexually explicit material. In a plea agreement with the district attorney’s office, one count of sexual exploitation of a minor, a felony, was dismissed, Roberts said Monday.
Patricell has been held at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make $25,000 cash bail since his arrest on the charge related to the MiniMart robbery in mid-December.
John Taylor, 20, of Old Town, the second man convicted in connection with the convenience store robbery and the home invasion, was sentenced in March to 10 years in prison with all but six suspended and three years of probation.
Both men faced up to 30 years in prison for the convenience store robbery and up to 10 years behind bars on the burglary charge.