GUILFORD, Maine — A kindergarten student was responsible for a bomb threat at Piscataquis Community Elementary School last month, a school official confirmed Friday.
SAD 4 Superintendent Paul Stearns said the threat occurred on April 12, marking the fourth such incident the district has experienced this spring.
“We had a 5-year-old that was having a lot of trouble at home and scribbled a message with a crayon on the bathroom wall, so we had to evacuate the school,” Stearns explained.
No students were ever in danger, and staff and students “went on [their] merry way” shortly after police discovered there was no threat, Stearns said.
The female student was suspended from school for three days when students returned to classes after the break, and Stearns said she has since returned to school. The student and her family have been undergoing counseling, he said.
“We’re dealing with the family and counseling and finding out what spurred this to take place,” said Stearns. “The student was out of school for an appropriate amount of time.”
Stearns said that a March 21 bomb threat that occurred at Piscataquis Secondary School, which houses students in grades 7-12, has been resolved.
“Through the good work of the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Office and our own administrative team we were able to find out the student [responsible],” said Stearns. “There will be an expulsion hearing next Wednesday.”
That student, an eighth-grade male, may also face criminal charges, Stearns said.
A bomb threat that occurred at the Secondary School on April 8 and an April 2 incident at the elementary school remain under investigation, the superintendent said.