ROCKLAND, Maine — A state judge has awarded damages of $1.5 million to a Camden woman who was the victim of a brutal sexual assault three years ago.
Justice Jeffrey Hjelm issued his ruling Monday in Knox County Superior Court against Bradley Lemay.
“The evidence clearly demonstrates the monumental, life-changing effects that LeMay’s assault had” on the woman whom the Bangor Daily News is not naming because she is the victim of a sexual assault, Hjelm stated in his ruling.
Hjelm awarded her $500,000 actual damages and $1 million in punitive damages because of the “heinous and malicious nature” of the attack.
The woman’s attorney C. Donald Briggs III of Rockport said last week that once a judgment was issued by the judge, he would look to see what assets LeMay had that could be used to recover at least part of the judgment.
“You never know for sure what assets may come to this defendant later, even if he is behind bars. He may inherit. He may have a financial windfall of some type,” Briggs said, pointing out that the judgment is good for 20 years.
The attorney also said that money isn’t the only reason people file lawsuits.
“At both federal and local levels, rape survivors are urged to consider civil recourse for any number of reasons,” he said, including a therapeutic value.
The convictions stem from an attack in June 2010 against the Camden woman at her home.
According to police reports and testimony at the trial, Lemay entered the woman’s home at night, held her at knifepoint, punched her in the face and sexually assaulted her over the next four hours. The victim called 911 after her assailant left the home and she gave a description of the vehicle he was driving. A short while later, when police tried to pull over a vehicle matching the description, it sped off, reaching speeds of more than 100 mph on rural roads in Knox County. The pursuit ended in Rockland, where Lemay was apprehended at gunpoint.
The woman testified at a hearing two weeks ago about the effect the attack had on her.
She told the judge that before the sexual assault she was a happy, optimistic and creative person. She said she has lost that creativity. She has given up a successful photography business because she does not want to meet new people, the woman testified.
“I find that the safest way to be is not to be around anyone. I am surprised there are not more hermits,” the woman said.
The woman filed the lawsuit in March 2012 against Lemay and Corey A. Prock of Nobleboro and Lise M. Prock, also known as Lisa M. Brockett, of Randolph. The Procks had been hired by the Camden woman to do lawn work and general cleaning at her home and another she owns that she rents to other people. She sued the Procks because she claimed they employed Lemay to do some of the work and introduced him to her in the spring of 2010 without notifying her of his violent criminal record.
Lemay had been released from Maine State Prison four months before the Camden assault after having served 21 years for kidnapping and gross sexual assault in York County.
The Camden woman settled with the Procks, but the terms of the settlement have not been revealed.
To reach a sexual assault advocate, call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Line at 800-871-7741, TTY 888-458-5599. This free and confidential 24-hour service is accessible from anywhere in Maine. Calls are automatically routed to the closest sexual violence service provider.