WALES, Maine — After four bomb threats in one week — and three student confessions — school officials are planning a public forum for parents in Litchfield, Sabattus and Wales to answer any lingering questions.
RSU 4 Superintendent Jim Hodgkin said he planned to tell parents the date of the forum in a note to be sent home with students Tuesday.
Bomb threats left on bathroom mirrors and stalls emptied Oak Hill Middle School on Monday afternoon, Oak Hill High School on Tuesday morning, Carrie Ricker School on Thursday afternoon and Carrie Ricker School again on Friday morning.
A 14-year-old female student was charged last week by Sabattus police with filing a false report or alarm in connection with the middle school threat. According to Hodgkin, a female student at Carrie Ricker confessed to the Friday bomb threat the same day it happened and a male student confessed on Monday morning to the Thursday threat at that school.
The Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office has been investigating the Carrie Ricker threats. It was unclear on Monday whether those students had been charged. Calls for information were not returned.
School administrators planned to meet Monday afternoon to review the events of last week, get suggestions and plan the next steps.
“I understand our community’s frustration, but the reality is, in talking with [police], it’s very unusual to have a single bomb threat occur,” Hodgkin said. “It usually goes in waves. What’s particularly challenging for this one, in the wake of Boston, which is a very real situation, the whole notion of a threat ratchets it up a few notches.”
He offered the district’s guidance counselors as help for a parent who called Monday and said her children were now afraid to go to school.
The school board plans to hold a special meeting on Monday for closed-doors disciplinary hearings against the three students.