Fire that destroyed Benton mobile home likely sparked by faulty wiring, says fire chief

Posted April 29, 2013, at 12:23 p.m.

BENTON, Maine — A mobile home in Benton was destroyed by fire early Monday morning, according to officials.

Fairfield Fire Chief Duane Bickford said crews were called to the scene on Benton Avenue at 1:25 a.m. Firefighters from Fairfield, Winslow, Waterville, Clinton and Albion responded.

The man who owns the mobile home managed to get out safely, Bickford said. The home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

Bickford said the fire started near the front of the trailer and a faulty electrical wire was a likely cause. Firefighters had the blaze under control in about two hours.

The home was not insured, the fire chief said, and the Red Cross has been called in to assist the man who lived there.