September 26, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Dunkin' | Belfast Fish Farm | Bill Cosby

Fire guts trailer home after cigarette ignites spilled nail polish remover

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

SEDGWICK, Maine — A Saturday night fire that appears to have started when nail polish remover was ignited by a lit cigarette destroyed a trailer home on Ridgeview Lane, according to the local fire chief.

No one was injured in the blaze, Sedgwick Fire Chief David Carter said Sunday.

The fire was reported around 9:30 p.m. Saturday, after a woman at the home accidentally spilled nail polish remover in the bedroom of the trailer home, according to the fire chief. After a lit cigarette the woman was smoking caused the nail polish remover to burst into flame, the fire spread quickly, he said.

He said there was no insurance on the home, which was owned by Aaron Carter (no relation).

Local firefighters arrived at the fire scene in about five minutes, but flames already were coming out of the trailer home as they pulled up in their vehicles. Firefighters were able to knock down the flames quickly, he said, but the damage already had been done.

The fire chief said the structure is still standing but is not inhabitable. Everyone, pets included, was able to get out safely, but all the contents of the trailer were destroyed, he said.

“It’s a total loss,” Chief Carter said.

Aaron Carter and his family have a camper and are believed to be staying in that, the fire chief said. They are in the process of building a home on the same property, which was not damaged in Saturday night blaze, he added.

Approximately 20 local firefighters responded to the fire, with another 15 or so responding from Blue Hill and Brooklin, according to the fire chief. Members of Deer Isle Fire Department stood by for station coverage while the other area departments were fighting the fire in Sedgwick.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like