HEBRON, Maine — Almost two dozen ducklings and chicks were killed Wednesday when fire raced through a small chicken coop and a doghouse on Hebron Station Road.
Firefighters from Hebron and surrounding towns were called to 998 Hebron Station Road around noontime but found the fire out when they got there.
Fire Chief James Trundy said two neighbors with fire extinguishers ran to the building and doused the fire. He said they also pulled down the fencing that enclosed two dogs so they could escape.
“They jumped the fence and got away,” he said.
Andrea Swenson, owner of the property, said she had just purchased the baby ducklings and chicks. She said a heat lamp she had installed in the coop probably caused the fire. The doghouse was attached to the coop, she said.
The outbuilding, which was about 10 by 10 feet, was a total loss.
Distributed by MCT Information Services