May 21, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Death of Harpswell man ruled drowning

By Darcie Moore, Times Record

HARPSWELL, Maine — The state medical examiner says a 28-year-old Harpswell man whose body was found on Bailey Island in Harpswell on Thursday morning had drowned.

The body of Ryan Johnson, who lived with his mother in Harpswell, was found on the shore near Garrison Cove Road, according to Capt. Craig Smith of the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office.

Smith said there were no signs of trauma to the body and no sign of foul play.

Brandy Desrosier of the state medical examiner’s office said the cause of death is drowning, but the manner of Johnson’s death remains under investigation.

A fisherman found Johnson’s body, on the shore and still partially in the water, at approximately 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Smith said.

Johnson was last seen at approximately 7:30 a.m. Wednesday by his mother.

Smith said the sheriff’s office will continue to investigate the case, as the state medical examiner looks for a cause of death.

“We’ll check with other family and friends, and places he was known to hang out, to see if we can fill in the gaps between 7:30 Wednesday morning and 9:30 [a.m. Thursday],”

Lt. Donald Foss with the Cumberland County Sheriff ’s Office said Friday there are no new developments in the investigation of Johnson’s death, and that investigators will awaiting the medical examiner’s report after an autopsy that’s expected to take place.

From there, “We would obviously determine if the facts and circumstances at the scene match the medical examiner’s findings.”

Foss, who was told Johnson worked in the marine industry in Harpswell, said “there are no indications that it is a suspicious death,” adding, “We can’t rule the manner of the death until we receive some guidance from the medical examiner,” whose job it is to determine the manner of death.

Employees at the Bailey Island General Store near his home had seen him the night before but what happened between then and when he was found on the water’s edge Thursday morning just after the tide had started to go out again will be up to investigators and the medical examiner’s office to unravel.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like