UMaine Friday night alarm caused by faulty outside light

Posted April 21, 2013, at 10:42 a.m.

ORONO, Maine — The Friday night alarm that brought fire and ambulance crews to the University of Maine’s Hilltop Commons was set off by a faulty exterior light, according and Orono fire Lt. Scott Luciano.

“They had an exterior light that was sparking,” Luciano said Sunday morning. That sparking tripped a circuit breaker, setting off an alarm.

Fire and rescue crews from Veazie, Old Town and Orono and the university’s ambulance service responded to the call, which came in around 8:28 p.m. Most responders were sent back after officials learned what caused the alarm.

University electricians were called in to repair the light and reset the breaker.

All units cleared the scene around 9:30, Luciano said.