View Bangor. Me. in a larger map
BANGOR, Maine — A house on the corner of Jefferson and Norfolk streets that was in the process of being renovated was damaged by fire early Thursday.
Bangor fire Capt. Dennis Nadeau said crews were dispatched to the scene shortly after midnight. Nobody is currently living in the two-and-a-half story house.
Smoke was pouring out of all three levels of the house when firefighters arrived, Nadeau said. The fire was mainly contained to the first and second floors, but firefighters had to react quickly to keep it from spreading.
“It was extending up chimneys to the second floor and we had to do quite an overhaul to make sure the fire didn’t spread to the third,” Nadeau said.
The blaze was under control in about an hour, Nadeau said. Crews from Bangor, Brewer, Hampden and Holden combined to put it out.
Nadeau said the first floor sustained significant fire damage while the second floor had heavy water damage, but the home was not demolished, he said.
Bangor fire officials and the state fire marshal’s office are working to figure out a cause, Nadeau said.