FAIRFIELD, Maine — Nine tenants, including several children, have been displaced after a fire at a Maple Street apartment building Tuesday afternoon.
Fairfield Fire Chief Duane Bickford said Wednesday crews were sent to the scene at 5 p.m. An electrical problem with a bathroom ceiling fan caused the fire, he said.
Bickford said heavy smoke was pouring from the building when firefighters arrived. A single tenant on the third floor heard smoke alarms blaring, escaped the building and called 911.
The first- and second-floor tenants, which include a couple and two children and a woman with three children, weren’t home at the time of the fire.
Crews managed to get the blaze under control in about an hour and a half, Bickford said. Winslow and Waterville provided mutual aid.
Some of the tenants are staying with friends or relatives in the area, but the Red Cross has been called in to assist, Bickford said. The building was badly damaged by the fire, the chief said.