AUGUSTA, Maine — A state trooper was justified in using deadly force during an incident in Androscoggin County in December 2012, according to the Maine attorney general’s office.
No one was injured in the six-hour Minot standoff, but an investigation is conducted whenever an officer uses deadly force.
Trooper Paul Casey had gone to Michael Callahan’s home on Dec. 22 after a domestic disturbance had been reported, according to Tim Feeley, assistant to the state attorney general.
Callahan had fired at least 90 rounds in Casey’s direction during the six-hour standoff in which three different weapons were used, Feeley said. Neither the trooper nor the shooter were hurt in the incident.
Attorney General Janet T. Mills concluded that Casey was not wrong in using deadly force as Callahan had been shooting at police, Feeley said.
The 44-year-old Callahan had become upset after police were called to his home in the wake of a domestic incident, Feeley said.
After a six-hour standoff in which Callahan was not struck by a police bullet, he was taken into custody and charged with domestic violence, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and reckless conduct with a firearm, Feeley said. Police seized more than 50 firearms from the residence, including 22 handguns, 26 rifles and six shotguns.
Correction: A previous headline on this story said the trooper shot the suspect. The trooper shot at the suspect.