Knife attack, 2 robberies reported to Bangor police; no suspects found

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff
Posted April 08, 2013, at 1:30 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — Two homeless men contacted police over the weekend to report they had been robbed, and a woman reported Sunday morning that she had been threatened by a man with a knife, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Monday.

Authorities searched the areas where the crimes were reported and were unable to find the perpetrators, the sergeant said.

“We’re not getting good information,” Edwards said. “What reason, and what it was over doesn’t appear clear at this point. Right now, it’s inconclusive.”

The three crimes were all reported within an 18-hour time period, between about 5:40 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. Sunday, and occurred within a few blocks of each other, the sergeant said. Police do not have any reason to believe the incidents are related, Edwards stressed.

A 33-year-old transient made the first report, saying he was robbed by use of force on First Street.

About 10 a.m. Sunday, a 29-year-old Bangor woman called police from her cellphone to say she had been threatened by a man with a knife near the Second Street Park, behind Shaw’s grocery store. The woman said she was walking her dog and the man came up behind her, grabbed her and “held onto her and told her to pretend they were together as he pulled her toward a cement wall,” Edwards said in a release.

She was able to get away from the man and ran down to the police station, which is three blocks away, Edwards said.

A 31-year-old man was stabbed in the same park in mid-March and police are still looking for the suspect, described as a white man in his early 20s who was wearing jeans and a camouflage jacket with a grey hooded sweatshirt underneath, Edwards said.

“He had a bloody lip and black eye like he just got into a fight,” the sergeant said of the suspect, who took the wallet of the victim, who was treated for a wound to the abdomen.

The man who threatened the woman on Sunday was described as an older male, approximately 5 foot, 8 inches tall, with a thin build, Edwards said. He has scruffy gray facial hair and was wearing a tan Carhartt-type vest, with a gray sweatshirt underneath.

“He had a blue or black knit winter hat pulled down to his eyes, and she also saw yellow nicotine stains on the man’s left hand,” the sergeant said.

The second reported robbery from this weekend involving the area homeless was reported at 11 a.m. Sunday, when a 30-year-old man contacted police to say he had been robbed at the Ohio Street side of Coe Park, Edwards said.

Those with information about any of the cases can call Bangor police at 947-7382. The department’s anonymous tip line can be reached at ext. 6.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/08/news/bangor/knife-attack-2-robberies-reported-to-bangor-police-no-suspects-found/ printed on July 24, 2014