Another man pleads guilty to burglary, theft at home of elderly Old Town woman

Posted April 08, 2013, at 4:49 p.m.
Wayne Sanborn
Penobscot County Sheriff's Office
Wayne Sanborn
John Taylor
Penobscot County Sheriff's Office
John Taylor

BANGOR, Maine — A second man pleaded guilty Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to charges stemming from a December break-in in Old Town that left the elderly victim traumatized, her family has said.

Wayne Sanborn, 30, pleaded guilty to one count each of burglary and theft.

He remained Monday night at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make the $40,000 cash bail set Dec. 10.

Sanborn is scheduled to be sentenced May 7.

The plea agreement calls for Penobscot County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy to recommend a sentence of seven years, with all but 18 months suspended, and two years of probation. Defense attorney Aaron Fethke of Searsport will be allowed to argue for less time to serve.

Almy said Monday that if Sanborn provided authorities with information that led to the recovery of family heirloom jewelry taken in the break-in, he would consider recommending that Sanborn serve less time behind bars.

The children of the 78-year-old victim have said that she wants to know what happened to the jewelry that was handed down to her.

The Bangor Daily News is not naming the victim or members of her family. It is the practice of the BDN not to identify the victims of crime.

By pleading guilty, Sanborn admitted that he and John Taylor, 20, of Old Town broke into the home on Highland Avenue at about 1:45 a.m. Dec. 8. Sanborn acknowledged Monday that he was acquainted with the woman because he delivered newspapers to her.

Sanborn worked as an independent contractor delivering the Bangor Daily News from Sept. 15 to Dec. 1.

Taylor and Sanborn were arrested within 24 hours of the burglary after they tried to sell some of the victim’s jewelry.

His co-defendant was sentenced March 21 to 10 years in prison with all but six year suspended and three years of probation. In addition to the Old Town break-in, Taylor pleaded guilty to the Nov. 18 armed robbery of the Veazie MiniMart on U.S. Route 2, along with burglaries, robberies and thefts last year in Milford and Clifton.

In all, Taylor pleaded guilty to and was sentenced on four counts of burglary, two counts of robbery and three counts of theft, all Class B crimes.

Sanborn faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000 on the Class B burglary charge, and up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 on the Class C theft charge. He also could be ordered to pay restitution of more than $10,000 to the victim.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor