Second Maine school evacuated because of bomb threat; classes resume after 90 minutes

By Seth Koenig, BDN Staff
Posted April 02, 2013, at 3:18 p.m.

RICHMOND, Maine — Richmond middle and high schools were evacuated Tuesday morning after a bomb threat was discovered in the girls’ bathroom, police said, but students and staff were allowed to return early in the afternoon.

It was the second Maine school facility evacuated because of a bomb threat Tuesday. The Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office announced earlier in the day that Oak Hill High School in Wales was emptied because the word “bomb” was found written on a wall in the building. Students were allowed to return later in the morning, according to media reports.

The two schools are approximately 15 miles away from one another, connected by Route 197.

Richmond Police Chief Scott MacMaster told the BDN on Tuesday afternoon his department is investigating the incident at his local school by reviewing hallway video footage near the bathroom where the threat was written. He said he does not know if the two bomb threats are related.

MacMaster said Richmond police responded to a report of a bomb threat at the local facility — the middle and high school are housed in the same building — at approximately 11:30 a.m.

“It was scribed into a bathroom stall with an ordinary pen. It just said ‘bomb threat,’ there was no time or date or any more instruction than that,” MacMaster said. “Obviously, we’ve got to take that seriously and put the safeguards in place to make sure it was all taken care of.”

The chief said the building was evacuated, and bomb-sniffing dogs from the Maine State Police were brought to the site. He said no evidence of explosives was found, and students and staff were allowed to return to the building just after 1 p.m.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/02/news/augusta/second-maine-school-evacuated-because-of-bomb-threat-classes-resume-after-90-minutes/ printed on April 20, 2014