BANGOR, Maine — The trial of a Bradford man accused of killing a Hudson man with a large crowbar could go to the jury Monday afternoon, the prosecutor and defense attorney said before court convened Monday morning at the Penobscot Judicial Center.
Superior Court Justice William Anderson ruled before the jury was brought into the packed courtroom that two of the victim’s brothers could not testify about an alleged murder-for-hire plot hatched last year while the defendant was awaiting trial.
Anderson said the men could offer little information without getting into areas in which the men’s Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination would be at risk.
Peter Robinson, 50, is accused of killing David P. Trask, 71, on Nov. 12, 2011, in an alleged dispute over a right of way.
Robinson’s trial began March 25 at the Penobscot Judicial Center. He testified Thursday that he acted in self-defense.
On Friday, two of Trask’s four brothers were asked questions about an alleged murder-for-hire plot before the jury entered the courtroom. Keith Trask, 68, and George Trask, 66, both of Corinth, on the advice of their attorneys — Hunter Tzovarras and Michael Rair, respectively — refused to answer questions about allegations that they hired a man to kill Robinson and dump his body at sea last year.
Defense attorney Thomas Hallett of Portland has stated in at least one court document that the two men and one of their wives hatched a murder-for-hire plot in the first half of 2012.
No one has been charged in the alleged scheme outlined in court documents. No one has been granted immunity from prosecution.
Robinson has been free on bail since just before Christmas 2011.
If convicted of murder, Robinson faces 25 years to life in prison.