July 19, 2018
Baseball Latest News | Poll Questions | Russian Meddling | Meth Bust | LePage Home

Saturday’s Maine college roundup, baseball: Husson, Endicott split


BEVERLY, Mass. – Husson made a comeback late in both of their non-conference baseball games Endicott College on Saturday at North Field, and they earned a win and a loss in the doubleheader.

Husson (5-9) erupted for four runs in the ninth to win the opening contest 8-4, while Endicott (8-5) took the second game by a 2-1 margin.

In Game 1, Endicott grabbed a 4-1 lead with a run in the fifth and three runs in the sixth, but the Eagles tied the game a half inning later and then exploded for four runs in the top of the ninth to emerge with an 8-4 victory.

Brandon Gendreau (Brewer, Maine) and Dylan Foster (Oakland, Maine) each had two hits at the top of the Husson lineup, while right fielder Pat Thibodeau (Caribou, Maine) drove in three runs for the visitors.

Harry Oringer (Dartmouth, Mass.) and third baseman Taylor English (Barre, VT) each had two hits and an RBI apiece in game one for the Gulls, while Oringer, Hall, and Holmgren, who also had an RBI, each scored.

After Husson had grabbed a single run in the top of the fourth on an RBI groundout by first baseman J.T. Whitten(Waterville, Maine), Endicott answered on a single to center field by English in the fifth that scored outfielder Ralph Fidaleo (Fairfield, CT).

The Gulls grabbed a three-run advantage in the sixth inning on a triple by Oringer and RBI singles by Holmgren and Colin Sitarz (W. Hartford, CT).

Freshman Mike Walkowicz (Amherst, Mass.) pitched six innings and allowed three runs on six hits with three strikeouts for the Gulls, but got into trouble in the seventh, putting two men on before being lifted for McLaughlin, who walked the next two batters and then surrendered a single to Foster and an RBI fielder’s choice to Thibodeau.

It was hit batsmen in the ninth inning that gave McLaughlin, who fell to 0-1 on the year, trouble. He loaded the bases on two hit by pitches and a surprise bunt single by Foster, and two runs crossed the plate on a single by Thibodeau, who took the first pitch he saw from new pitcher Kevin Dupras (Belchertown, Mass.) and deposited it into left center.

The Eagles grabbed two more runs on a single up the middle by junior Josh Gaudette (Waterville, Maine) and a passed ball, which allowed Thibodeau to score.

Eagles junior Pat McEwen (Brewer, Maine) evened his record at 2-2 on the year with a complete game effort. Over nine innings, McEwen surrendered nine hits and two walks, allowing three earned runs and picking up four strikeouts.

In Game 2,

Brett Holmgren (Middleboro, Mass.) delivered a bases-loaded RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning and the Gulls walked off with a 2-1 win in a game that featured two superb pitching performance by first year players.

Endicott freshman Jon Branch (Milford, Mass.) went six innings, allowing just one unearned run on three hits and two walks while striking out two.

Brandon Reilly (Pemaquid, Maine) took a complete game no-decision, surrendering two runs over six and two-thirds innings and falling to 1-2 for the season.

Holmgren, who leads the team in batting average, went 2-4 with both of Endicott’s RBIs and is now batting .529 for the season. The senior first baseman got the Gulls in front in the bottom of the first inning with a double down the left field line that plated second baseman Oringer.

It looked as though Branch would go the distance for the shutout victory, but the Eagles took advantage of two errors by Oringer in the seventh inning and loaded the bases before center fielder Shawn Smith (Winterport, Maine) scored on a fielder’s choice by designated hitter Kyle Bishop (Waterville, Maine).

The Gulls looked to be headed to extra innings as Reilly quickly got the first two outs in the bottom of the frame, but freshman Cody Hall (Rutland, Mass.) singled to center field and Tad Gold (Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.) followed with a single to left center and the hosts had two on with two outs.

Oringer then reached on a fielder’s choice and Gold was safe on an error by Husson second baseman Gendreau, which extended the inning and loaded the bases for Holmgren, who shot a rocket up the middle to plate Hall and end the game.

Endicott junior Connor McLaughlin (Clinton, Mass.) improved to 1-1 on the season with the victory after allowing the fielder’s choice and then inducing a double-play to end the seventh inning.

UMPI, Centenary split

FLEMINGTON, N.J. — The University of Maine-Presque Isle baseball team split a doubleheader at Centenary College on Saturday dropping game one, 2-1, before winning the nightcap 10-6. The Owls move to 3-10 on the season. The Cyclones’ record stands at 9-11-1.

Sunday will be a travel day for Presque Isle before continuing their road trip over spring break with a game at Delaware Valley on Monday, April 1st. First pitch is at 3:30pm.

Saturday’s opener featured a pitching duel between Centenary’s Mitch Renz and the Owls’ Jake Fillebrown(Sr./Stoneham, ME). A solo home run by junior Quay Mayo in the 2nd inning put the Cyclones up 1-0 at the time and wound up being the only earned run given up by either hurler.

The Cyclones were able to add on another run in the third as Nick Ortiz and Joe Forcellini paired up for back-to-back one-out hits before Dave Raifsnider was able to send a sac fly to center to put Centenary ahead 2-0.

With one-out and a man on first, Ryan Caparoni (Kenvil, NJ, Roxbury) blasted a double down the left field line but the Owls’ defense was able to cut down Raifsnider at the plate before ending the Centenary threat and keep the game at 2-0 heading into the sixth.

The Owls took advantage of a Cyclone error to lead off the top of the sixth before a pair of two out singles, the second coming off the bat of Tanner Marshall (Fr./Cleburne, TX), plated a run to bring the Cyclone lead down to 2-1. With two on and two out however, Renz was able to get a strike out looking to end the inning.

Renz (2-1) took the win after a complete seven innings without allowing an earned run as he gave up five hits while striking out

Fillebrown was the hard luck loser tossing a complete game, allowing an earned run on seven hits while striking out four.

In the nightcap, Presque Isle came from behind three different times, the last time by scoring five runs in the 6th inning to erase a 6-5 deficit, to knock off the Cyclones, 10-6.

The Cyclones drew first blood in the 2nd on a JR Kirchner two-out, two-RBI single into straightaway center field.

The Owls answered right back in the top of third however as Justin Bergeron (Jr./Tiverton, RI) led off with a triple to the right center gap before Jordan Duffy (Sr./Fort Augustus PEI, Canada) took the first pitch up the middle for an RBI single to bring the game to 2-1.

Despite two quick outs in the 3rd, Kevin Litus ripped a ball into left field for an RBI putting Centenary up 3-1.

The Owls responded in the top of the fourth with a two-out RBI single to right by Bergeron before Duffy again came through this time with a two-RBI double to the right center gap, giving the Owls their first lead, 4-3.

That lead was short-lived as Centenary answered with two runs in the bottom of the fourth to re-claim a 5-4 advantage.

The two teams traded single runs in the 5th, Presque Isle’s coming off a booming home run off the bat of Marshall. It was the first round-tripper in the collegiate career for the Owls’ left fielder.

In the decisive 6th, the Owls put the first 7 batters on base (6 singles and 1 hit by pitch), scoring 4 runs. The fifth run scored during a 5-4 double play.

Hitting out of the 1-3 spots in the batting order, the trio of Bergeron, Duffy, and Carlos Villoria (Sr./Caracas, Venezuela) combined to go 9-14 from the plate. Bergeron collected four hits on his own while Duffy recorded 4 RBI.

Jordan Perry (Jr./Baileyville, ME) earned the win in relief, pitching 2.1 scoreless innings, giving up no hits, walking one, while striking out three.

Centenary 11, UMPI 3

FLEMINGTON, N.J. — On what felt like the first real day of spring temperature-wise, the Centenary College Cyclones defeated the University of Maine-Presque Isle 11-3 at Diamond Nation Friday afternoon in non-conference action.

After starting pitcher Joe Frankosky held the Owls in check in the top of the first inning, the Cyclones’ plated three against starter Dylan Worster (Jr./Howland, Maine) in the bottom half to jump out to a 3-0 advantage.

After the Cyclones added another run in the 2nd inning the Owls started getting on base, loading the bags in both the 4th and 5th innings. Presque Isle could not push a run across in the fourth but finally broke through in the fifth when Tanner Marshall (Fr./Cleburne, TX) worked an RBI-walk. The Owls tacked on another run when Logan McLaughlin (Fr./Mars Hill ME) reached on an error and scoring Ted Walker (Jr./Caribou, Maine) to make it 4-2.

A Kevin Litus 3-run home run in the bottom of the frame pushed Centenary’s lead to 7-2. Three more runs in the 7th put the game away for the Cyclones.

For the Cyclones, pitcher Dan Derner picked up the win pitching 1.2 innings allowing no runs, and earning his first victory of the seaon. The loss was Worster’s first of the season as he falls to 1-1.

The two teams will face off again on Saturday in a doubleheader set to begin at 1:30p.m.

Fisher 9, UM-Farmington 3

LYNN, Mass. – Fisher College baseball won its eighth in a row and completed a three-game sweep of the University of Maine-Farmington on Sunday at Fraser Field.

The loss dropped UMaine-Farmington to 1-4 on the season, while Fisher improved to 18-12.

UMaine-Farmington got on the board first as shortstop Brett Wallingford (Sanford, Maine/Sanford) drew a bases loaded walk to score third baseman Zach Keene (Livermore, Maine/Livermore Falls).

Fisher would answer right back as it scored three runs keyed by a two-out, two-RBI double from senior Anthony Peguero. Sammy Alejandro was able to scamper home prior to the double when classmate Jose Paulino (Lawrence, MA) was picked off. Peguero crossed the plate later in the frame as Farmington catcher Colin Mello’s (Windham, Maine/Windham) throw sailed into left field on the stolen base.

The Beavers got one run back in the top of the fourth when first baseman Ben Keene (Livermore, Maine/Spruce Mountain) singled home Zach Keene, but the Falcons tacked on single runs in both the fourth and fifth innings to extend their lead to 6-2 through five.

Grayson Beressi (Falmouth, Maine/Falmouth) got aboard with a two-base error by Fisher center fielder Eridane Dume to open the sixth inning, and later scored on a balk to cut the margin to 6-3. A hit-by-pitch, a triple, and a sacrifice fly to left field produced two more runs for Fisher in the bottom of the sixth, and the Falcons capped their scoring with one more run in the eighth.

Freshman righthander Tom Grady (Whitefield, Maine/Erskine Academy) suffered the loss for the Beavers, after allowing five runs, four earned, on five hits while striking out five in his 3.1 innings on the hill.

Zach Keene and freshman Ben Keene each had 3-for-4 days at the plate. Zach added two stolen bases and Ben had a RBI for UMaine-Farmington. Wallingford, Mello, Brian Jenkins (Gorham, Maine/Gorham) and Dale Winchenbach (Waldoboro, Maine/Medomak Valley) each recorded singles for UMF.

Falcon starter Pedro Escafullery lasted just 3.1 innings, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out four. Brian Rosa finished off the fourth inning, retiring the next two batters on a strikeout and pop-up. He would go on to pitch a scoreless fifth before giving way to Jose Maldonado in the sixth.

A trio of relievers followed Maldonado and kept the Beavers scoreless over the final three innings. Rosa, who finished with one unearned run on three hits in his 1.2 innings of work, was credited with the win.

Fisher sweeps UM-Farmington

LYNN, Mass. – Fisher College junior Jefry Castro threw a complete game two-hitter to pace the Falcons to a 4-0 non-conference victory over the University of Maine at Farmington, in game one of a non-conference doubleheader Saturday at Fraser Field.

The Falcons completed the sweep over the Beavers with a 6-4 victory in game two.

Castro fanned 10 UMaine-Farmington (1-2) batters on his way to the win, while yielding just two walks.

After taking a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning, Fisher (17-12) tacked on three runs on three hits in the third. Jose Paulino drew a bases loaded walk, and Joshua Boyd followed up with a sacrifice fly to left. Sammy Alejandro plated the third run of the frame on a fielder’s choice to shortstop.

Colin Mello (Windham, Maine/Windham) and Matt Woodbury (Fairfield, Maine/Lawrence) recorded UMaine-Farmington’s two hits. Starter Ben Pearson (North Stonington, Conn./Wheeler) took the loss for the Beavers after going five innings and allowing four runs on six hits. Pearson walked five in the outing while striking out two.

In game two, Fisher’s Joshua Boyd took a 2-1 fastball to deep left field in the bottom of the sixth inning to break a 4-4 tie and give the Falcons a 6-4 lead over the Beavers – a lead Fisher would keep through the top of the seventh for the win.

Boyd’s homer capped a four-run inning that saw the Falcons erase a two-run deficit.

The Beavers’ seventh-inning rally efforts began when Brian Jenkins (Gorham, Maine/Gorham) drew a two-out walk, but Falcon starter Casey Reed induced a line out to center field for the last out of the inning and the game.

UMF got off to a fast start by scoring two runs in the top of the first. Brett Wallingford (Sanford, Maine/Sanford) reached on an error by shortshop Paulino, and came around to score one the very next hitter when Jenkins singled to right field. Boyd’s attempt to throw out Wallingford at third base was too high, allowing both runners to advance and giving UMF a 1-0 lead. Jenkins would score two batters later when Woodbury singled up the middle.

The Beavers doubled their lead in the top of the third when Wallingford singled to right. He would move into scoring position when Jenkins reached on an error. Mello then singled to right center, scoring Wallingford. After advancing to 3rd, UMF’s Jenkins added their fourth run scoring on the back end of a Woodbury double play.

It took until the fifth inning for the Falcons to get on the board when Boyd started with an infield single. An error by UMF’s third baseman allowed runners on second and third for the Falcons. Junior Brett Remon drove in Fisher’s first run with an RBI groundout to short before Daurys Batista’s pinch hit ground out plated Fisher’s second run of the inning.

UMF had two players picked off in the top of the sixth to help Fisher escape the inning without any damage. With the momentum on Fisher’s side, senior Eridani Dume led off the bottom of the sixth with a double to deep left field. Two pitches later Anthony Peguero singled to right, scoring Dume, then advanced to second on an error by the right fielder.

Yuliano Rodriguez was hit by pitch to give the Falcons runners on first and second, before a wild pitch put both runners in scoring position. The Falcons tied the game when Davidson Peguero’s sacrifice fly to left was deep enough to score Peguero, setting the stage for Boyd’s round-tripper to give Fisher the lead

With the game tied, Boyd sent the Fisher bench into a frenzy by sending the fastball well over the left field fence. The comeback allowed senior Casey Reed to earn his 3rd win of the season. The right-hander went all seven innings, allowing four runs (two earned) on five hits and one walk. The senior struck out eight of the 30 batters faced.

Jenkins logged a pair of singles for the Beavers, while Wallingford, Mainello, and Woodbury each had a base hit. Joe Sullivan (Lewiston, Maine/Lewiston) allowed six runs, four earned, on seven hits over his six innings of work in the loss, and logged just one strikeout.

U-Chicago sweeps Colby

AUBURNDALE, Fla. —- Luke Duncklee had five hits in two games for the Colby College baseball team, but the Mules settled for finishing with a 7-4 record on their spring break trip to Florida after falling 16-12 and 5-4 in a doubleheader to University of Chicago on Saturday.

Duncklee finished with three hits and two RBI in the opener and had a pair of hits and an RBI in the nightcap.

Jason Buco added three hits and three RBI in the first game, John Schroeder drove in four runs with two hits, and Dan Csaplar and Nathan Ellis both had two hits.

Tim Corey, Ellis, and Tyler Starks had RBI in the second contest for the Mules.

Soren Hanson threw a complete game for the Mules, striking out none and walked one.

Colby had good sized leads early in both contests. The Mules led 7-1 heading into the third inning of the opener and were up 4-0 after three innings in the second game.

Bates, Tufts split

MEDFORD, Mass. — Tufts sophomore pitcher Kyle Slinger (Danville, CA) went 6.2 strong innings in the Jumbos’ game-one victory, but Bates junior Kevin Davis (Andover, Mass.) keyed a game-two win by the Bobcats with a two-run double as the NESCAC East foes split a baseball double-header on Saturday at Huskins Field.

Tufts won the first game 5-1. Bates took the nightcap 5-3. The split gave visiting Bates the weekend series two games to one following Friday’s 3-0 win. The Bobcats are now 7-5 overall and 2-1 in the NESCAC East. The Jumbos dropped to 8-7 and 1-2 in the division.

Slinger went 6.2 innings allowing four hits and one run with four strikeouts in the first game. He came one out shy of a complete game while improving to 2-1.

Tufts took the lead in the third after two were out. Senior SS Scott Staniewicz (Boca Raton, FL) doubled and scored when sophomore CF Connor McDavitt (Holden, Mass.) followed with a triple. The Jumbos would add three unearned runs on just one hit in the fifth to lead 4-0. Their fifth run came in the sixth inning courtesy of a two-out double by sophomore 3B Wade Hauser (Palo Alto, CA), scoring sophomore catcher Bryan Egan (Watervliet, NY), who had singled.

Bates had just one runner reach second base through six innings, but junior RF Steve Burke (Bedford, NH) doubled off Slinger with two outs in the seventh. Sophomore DH Rockwell Jackson (Fort Worth, TX) followed with a walk and Tufts went to the bullpen. A single by senior SS Ryan Sonberg (Windsor, CT) brought in the lone Bates run.

Hauser was 2 for 3 with a run and an rbi for the Jumbos in game one. Staniewicz scored twice.

Junior 2B Griff Tewksbury (Concord, NH) had two of Bates’ six hits in the first game. Bobcats starter Brad Reynolds (Lafayette, CO) and reliever Chris Ward (Pasadena, CA) allowed just five hits, but Bates committed three errors. Reynolds was charged with just one earned run while allowing three hits in five innings for the loss.

Bates took a 4-0 lead with the help of Davis’ two-run double in the second inning of game two. Sonberg also had an rbi double in the second inning after hitting a single and eventually scoring on a ground out by freshman 3B Sam Berry (South Hamilton, Mass.) in the first.

Tufts got one back in the bottom of the second when senior 1B Eric Weikert (Avondale Estates, GA) was hit by a pitch and scored on a a single by freshman DH Mike Barry (Sudbury, Mass.).

The game took a dramatic swing on two pitches as the sixth turned to the seventh. With the bases loaded, Staniewicz was robbed of extra bases on a superb catch by Bates sophomore LF Nate Pajka (Douglas, Mass.) in the bottom of the sixth. Then on the first pitch of the top of the seventh, Bobcat sophomore catcher Mekae Hyde (Lewiston, Maine) homered to put the Bobcats up 5-1.

However, the Jumbos rallied in the ninth, putting the tying run on base. They closed to within 5-3 on a two-run double to the opposite field by Hauser. With the bases loaded and one out, Bates called freshman Sam Warren (Norfolk, VA) out of center field to pitch. He induced two fly outs to right for a clutch save.

Davis finished game two 2 for 4 with two rbi and a run for Bates. Sonberg and Hyde were both 2 for 4 with a run and an rbi. Starter Dean Bonneau (Amherst, Mass.) earned his first win with five innings of two-hit, one-run pitching. He struck out six. Freshman Connor Colombo (Mendon, Mass.) pitched two innings of one-hit, no-run relief.

Hauser finished 2 for 5 with two rbi for Tufts. Barry was 2 for 4 with the rbi. Junior pitcher Dean Lambert (Cross River, NY) had an outstanding seven-inning relief stint, giving up four hits and a run while striking out seven.

Saint Joseph’s, Lasell split

STANDISH, Maine – Eleventh-ranked Saint Joseph’s College (10-5, 1-1 GNAC) split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) baseball doubleheader with Lasell College (4-9, 1-1 GNAC) at Larry Mahaney Diamond on Saturday afternoon. The Lasers stunned the Monks in the opener, 4-2, but the hosts responded with a 6-1 triumph in the nightcap to salvage the split.

An outstanding effort by senior pitcher Tyler Laverriere (Biddeford, Maine) was wasted in the opener, as the Monks committed three errors to negate the righthander’s 11-strikeout performance in a 4-2 loss. The miscues resulted in three unearned runs and, along with the lack of timely hitting – the Monks stranded 10 runners – ultimately proved to be the difference in the game.

Plenty of credit also goes to Lasell sophomore starter David Long (Brookfield, Conn.), who kept the hosts off balance while scattering six hits with two K’s and three walks to help the Lasers top the Monks for just the second time in the 11-game history of the series between the conference counterparts.

Saint Joseph’s showed a bit more fire in the closing contest and secured a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second before putting the game away with a four-run fourth. Junior pitcher Joe Gruntkosky (Peabody, Mass.) was every bit as dominant as Laverriere, as the righty allowed just one hit and a walk with eight punch-outs in six scoreless innings to collect the win and improve to 3-0 on the season.

With the split, Saint Joseph’s is now 9-2 in the history of the series with Lasell College. Prior to this afternoon, the Monks had defeated the Lasers in six-consecutive meetings.

Saint Joseph’s returns to action on Monday when the Monks travel to Waterville, Maine to face the Mules of Colby College at 4:00 p.m. Lasell hosts non-conference foe Wentworth College on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

In Game 1, Lasell kicked off the day’s scoring with the help of three hits and an SJC error in the top of the second. Freshman catcher Wes Hurty (Windsor, Conn.) reached on a fielder’s choice and botched infield play and scored two batters later when senior designated hitter Jacob Salkovitz (Brockton, Mass.) singled up the middle.

The Monks looked to respond right away in the bottom of the second. Junior right fielder Alex Lorenc (Nanuet, N.Y.) led off the frame with a double, junior catcher Willie Brown (Fayette, Maine) worked a free pass and freshman left fielder Tim Beaudette (Uxbridge, Mass.) was plunked by an errant fastball to load the bases with two out, but all three runners would be deserted.

Lasell went on to score a pair of unearned runs in the third to secure a 3-0 lead. With one out and junior second baseman Dustin Brown (Falmouth, Mass.) – who singled – on first, freshman Rob Madden (Hingham, Mass.) came to the plate and singled up the middle and both runners attempted to advance on a bobble in center field. Brown sailed into third with no throw, but Madden would likely have been out at second if not for a poor throw at the bag. The errant toss, which rattled around in the right field corner, resulted in both runners scoring and the visitors notching a 3-0 cushion.

Following another infielder error, the Lasers managed to tack on an additional run in the top of the fifth when junior first baseman Billy Uberti (Newton, Mass.) plated Brown with a double to left-center.

Trailing 4-0 and quickly running out of outs, the Monks went to work in the fifth. Beaudette opened the inning with a single up the middle and later scored on a Nic Lops (South Portland, Maine/Cheverus) base knock and senior Sam Butts (Saco, Maine) walked and tapped home plate when senior first baseman Mike Pratt (Dartmouth, Mass.) doubled over the left fielder’s head. With runners on second and third and nobody out, Saint Joseph’s seemed poised to gain more ground, but Long dug deep and produced a strikeout and a pair of harmless fly-outs to eliminate the threat.

In the top of the seventh, Laverriere emptied the tank and struck out the Lasell side and Lops was hit by a pitch to start the bottom of the inning, but the Monks would not post a scoring opportunity in their final turn.

For Saint Joseph’s, Beaudette went 2-2 with a run scored and Pratt was 2-4 with a double and an RBI in the losing bid. Brown scored a pair of runs for Lasell, which did not feature a repeat-hitter in the upset victory.

In Game 2, St. Joe’s began the scoring in the second contest with a run in the bottom of the second inning. Sophomore catcher Joe Coyne (Duxbury, Mass.) worked an 0-2 count into a walk, advanced to second on a Lorenc sacrifice bunt, and scored when Taylor Reuillard (Biddeford, Maine) singled up the middle to provide the hosts with their first lead of the day.

The Monks’ bats showed signs of life in the bottom of the fourth with four runs off four hits and a pair of Lasell errors. Pratt opened with a single, moved to second on an error and scored on a single by Coyne, who later scored on a Zack Graham (Marlborough, Mass.) base hit. Senior second baseman Brandon Chase (Naples, Maine) plated Lorenc, who walked, with a perfectly-executed safety squeeze and Graham sprinted home on a wild pitch to lift the Royal Blue to a 5-0 lead.

In the bottom of the sixth, Lorenc greeted Lasell reliever Vinny Romano (Yonkers, N.Y.) with a double to deep center and scored on a Graham single through the right side, making it a 6-0 game.

Freshman reliever Riley Cox (Westford, Mass.) entered the game in favor of Gruntkosky in the top of the seventh and, after yielding an unearned run, worked his way out of a bases-loaded jam with a 1-2-3 double play and a harmless groundout to second base.

For the Monks, Graham notched the first multiple-hit effort of his young career by going 2-3 with a run and two RBI. The freshman shortstop was the only repeat-hitter for either team in the nightcap.

Lasell starting pitcher Matti Doxter (Somersworth, N.H.) took the loss after allowing five runs (four earned) off five hits and four walks with three K’s over four innings. Reliever Greg Sherman (Marshfield, Mass.) worked a scoreless fifth and Romano let up a run off two hits in the sixth.


Daniel Webster sweeps UMPI

NASHUA, N.H. – Senior Amanda Wilson (Merrimack, N.H.) tossed a complete game four hitter striking out nine and sophomore Sarah Durocher followed with a five-hit shutout striking out seven as host Daniel Webster opened its home schedule with a 4-1 and 10-0 sweep of Maine at Presque Isle Friday at Eagle Field.

DWC won its second and third straight improving to 4-8 overall. UMPI dropped to 0-4.

Wilson (1-2) went the distance allowing one earned run and walked none and helped her cause at the plate with a RBI triple in the 4-1 opener. Freshman Ashley England (Old Town, Maine) added a pair of hits at lead off while fellow rookie Mollie Bartles (Torrington, Conn.) added a RBI single.

DWC plated three runs with two unearned in the bottom of the first on four hits. Wilson tacked on the fourth run in the third for a 4-0 lead.

Megan Hannigan (Fr./Houlton, Maine) broke the shutout bid with a RBI single in the fifth as the Owls notched three of their four hits in the frame.

In the nightcap, Durocher (1-2) walked none over five innings and DWC broke the game open with a four-run second and added two in the third and three in the fourth as part of a 15-hit attack.

England went 3 for 4 with a double and RBI, Theresa DiSantis went 3 for 3 knocking in one, Courtney Brennan (Beverly, Mass.) connected for a two-run single in the second, and Durocher backed her pitching efforts by knocking in two with RBI singles in the third and fourth.

Krista Coffin (Jr./Presque Isle) took both losses on the mound (0-3). She struck out 7 and walked 1 in pitching every inning for the Owls on the day. Kellie Peers (Sr./Caswell, Maine) had two hits in game two for the Owls.

UMPI visits Randolph (Va.) on Monday at 3:00 p.m.

R.I. College sweeps USM

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Jessica Borden (Lincoln, R.I.) went 3-for-5 with one run scored, while hurling a complete game five-hit shutout, as Rhode Island College swept a doubleheader from Southern Maine (5-1, 1-0) in Little East Conference softball action played at the Dayna A. Bazar Softball Complex on Saturday afternoon.

With the sweep of Southern Maine, Rhode Island College earns its third consecutive win and improves to 10-6 overall and starts its Little East Conference campaign at 2-0. Suffering its fifth straight loss, Southern Maine falls to 1-11 overall and is 0-2 in the Little East Conference.

RIC recieved multiple hit performances from freshman right fielder Abigail Francis (Worcester, Mass.), sophomore third baseman Justina Thomas (Canterbury, Conn.) and classmate shortstop Katelyn Sykora (Waterford, Conn.). Senior pitcher/first baseman Emily Johnson (West Kingston, R.I.) picked up the win (5-1) in game one, allowing just one run to go along with six strikeouts.

RIC took the early lead in game one, thanks to a leadoff solo homer (3) by junior center fielder Stacy Pokora (Wilton, Conn.). The scored stayed in the host’s favor until the top of the fifth when the Huskies (1-11, 0-2) tied the game on senior pitcher Stephanie Stockwell’s (Buxton, Maine) RBI double to center field.

RIC erupted for four runs in the home half of the frame to seal with win. Sykora reached on a bunt single, Borden was hit by a pitch and senior second baseman Marisa Jandreau (Plainville, CT) walked to load the bases. Sykora scored on a wild pitch and Borden came around on a one-out error. Francis dealt the big blow with a two-out RBI double.

Stockwell (1-5) took the loss, allowing five runs (two earned) on nine hits in six innings of work. Sykora, Borden, Francis and Thomas each went 2-for-3. Pokora scored twice. USM senior second baseman Cara Radino (Franklin, NJ) went 2-for-3 with a run scored.

Game two was completed in a speedy 1:10 thanks to standout pitching performances from Borden and Southern Maine senior Jesse Hutchins (Sebago, Maine). Hutchins kept the hosts hitless until Johnson doubled in the fifth with one out. Freshman Shannon Laiho (West Greenwich, R.I.) came on to pinch run for Johnson. Thomas followed with a ground out to shortstop and Laiho broke for third on the throw. The throw to third from across the diamond was in time but ended up in the Anchorwomen’s dugout and allowed Laiho to trot home with the game’s only run.

Borden allowed five hits in seven innings of work to pick up her second win (2-1) of the year. Hutchins allowed a lone unearned run in six innings in a losing effort (0-4).

Radino went 3-for-5 with a run scored on the day for the Huskies, while senior third baseman Jessica Hayden (Madison, Maine) went 3-for-6.

Saint Joseph’s sweeps Lasell

STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph’s (14-4, 6-2 GNAC) employed two entirely different methods to post a pair of victories over Lasell College (4-10, 1-3 GNAC) in a GNAC softball doubleheader at Richard W. Bailey Field on Saturday afternoon.

In the opener, the Monks required a two-run, walk-off single in the bottom of the seventh from junior second baseman Connie Grovo (Limington, Maine) to sneak past the Lasers by a 3-2 margin. With the sluggish opening game in the rear-view, the SJC offense exploded with 15 hits in a 14-0 laugher in the nightcap.

In the first contest, Saint Joseph’s looked to come out on top in a pitcher’s duel, as Monks junior Theresa Hendrix (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) and Lasers freshman Eileen Bergin (Arlington, Mass.) locked heads for seven strong innings. The Monks struck first with a run in the third frame, when sophomore third baseman Kim Jordan (Bangor, Maine) beat out an infield single, stole second and scored on a two-out single by Grovo.

The narrow cushion held true until the top of the fifth when Bergin helped herself with a leadoff solo home run over the left field wall to knot the game at one-apiece.

Bergin opened the seventh inning with a walk, moved to second on a sac bunt and sprinted to third on a Courtney Moen (Brookfield, Mass.) groundout to Hendrix, who failed to check the runner, in the circle. The following batter, sophomore third baseman Denise Archetto (Cranston, R.I.), promptly plated Bergin with a base hit up the middle to lift the visitors to a 2-1 edge.

With only three outs left to either win or extend the contest, the Monks were forced to lean on a lineup that produced only four hits over the first six innings. As it played out, the hosts nearly doubled their hits output with three knocks in their final turn. Freshman designated player Alyssa Wade (Peru, Maine) led off with a single to left-center, freshman left fielder Marissa Hernandez (Goshen, N.Y.) walked and – following a Jordan line-out to second – Danyelle Shufelt (Sutton, Vt.) singled up the middle to pack the bases for Grovo, who belted a drive to deep left-center. The ball was just out of the reach of sophomore left fielder Amanda Szidat (Westford, Mass.), who ran a long distance to make a play, as Wade and Megen Pollini (Wolfeboro, N.H.) – who entered as a pinch-runner for Hernandez – scored to cinch the SJC victory.

Grovo, who went 4-4 with three RBI, was the game’s lone repeat hitter. Hendrix allowed a pair of runs off five hits and four walks with four strikeouts to earn the victory.

Bergin took the loss after yielding three runs off seven hits and a pair of walks with four K’s in 6.1 innings for the Lasers.

In Game 2, the Lasers registered the first prime scoring opportunity in the top of the opening frame, as the visitors had the bases loaded with one out, but sophomore starting pitcher Laura Jordan (Orrington, Maine) doused the threat with a pair of punch-outs.

The hit parade began in the bottom of the second, when the Monks scored seven runs off seven hits to claim all of the momentum. Senior catcher Heather Tripp (Lovell, Maine) led off with a double off base of the wall in left-center and later scored on a Danielle Leavitt (Spruce Head, Maine) groundout. Shufelt and Grovo rapped run-scoring base hits and junior shortstop Lindsay Moore (Barrington, N.H.) knocked in a pair with a base knock of her own before Hendrix and Tripp closed out the inning-scoring with RBI doubles.

The Lasers made a pitching change in the bottom of the third, as junior Samantha Whynot (Randolph, Mass.) entered the game in favor of senior hurler Alison Saluti (Braintree, Mass.), but the results were no better for the visitors, as the Monks continued to sting the ball to the tune of seven additional runs en route to claiming a 14-0 cushion. Grovo recorded a two-run single, Shufelt and Hendrix notched RBI singles and Moore knocked home a run with a two-bagger in the seven-run third.

For the Monks, Moore went 3-3 with two runs, a double and three RBI, Grovo was 2-3 with two runs and three RBI, Tripp registered a pair of doubles along with a run and an RBI, and Shufelt and Hendrix both added two hits, two runs and a pair of runs batted in. Jordan earned the victory after scattering two hits with two walks and three K’s in three innings and freshman Erica Boulanger (Somersworth, N.H.) worked two frames of effective relief, allowing two hits and a pair of walks with three strikeouts in mop-up duty.

Saluti suffered the loss for the Lasers after giving up seven runs on eight hits and three walks while fanning a trio in the closing contest. Whynot failed to record an out and surrendered seven runs on seven hits.

With the sweep, Saint Joseph’s improves to 12-4 in the history of the series with Lasell College. The Monks have now defeated the Lasers in nine-straight meetings dating back to the 2008 season.

Tufts sweeps Bates

MEDFORD, Mass. — The seventh-ranked Tufts Jumbos were an offensive juggernaut on a crisp Saturday afternoon at Spicer Field, pelting the bleachers with six home runs while pounding out 17 runs on 20 hits to win both games of a softball double-header, 8-4 and 9-0, against NESCAC East Division rival Bates College.

The pair of wins completed a three-game sweep over the Bobcats, moving Tufts to 3-0 in conference play and 16-1 on the season. Bates dropped to 4-7 overall and 0-3 in the division.

Five different players went yard for Tufts in the 8-4 opener and sophomore All-American Allyson Fournier (South Windsor, CT) slammed the door shut with a no-hit shutout in the Jumbos’ 9-0 win to close out the day.

Fournier struck out 11 batters over five innings without issuing a free pass and was an error away from a perfect game.

Sophomore Michelle Cooprider (Hopkinton, Mass.) blasted a three-run home run in the opener and junior Kayla Holland (Attleborough, Mass.) added a three-run bomb in the second game to power the Jumbo offense.

Junior Sara Hedtler (Wrentham, Mass.) went 5 for 7 on the day, while junior catcher Jo Clair (Glastonbury, CT) belted her team-leading fifth home run to go along with a double, driving in a pair of runs while scoring three. First-year Abby Curran (Hamilton, Mass.) launched the first home run of her career and senior Emily Beinecke (Concord, Mass.) and sophomore Kris Parr (Austin, TX) each added solo home runs.

In game one, senior Aly Moskowitz (Westfield, NJ) pitched six strong innings to get the win and first-year Erica County (Arlington, Mass.) with a perfect seventh closed out the opener.

The Jumbos’ long ball outweighed the Bobcats’ small ball, as Tufts clubbed five home runs en route to an 8-4 game-one win. Moskowitz allowed four runs on six hits over six innings, striking out two, for the win.

Clair got the Jumbos on the board in the first inning, getting on base after taking a fastball to the elbow and scoring on an error.

Tufts broke the game open in the second, starting with Curran who went opposite field for her first career round-tripper. Christian Raso (Burlington, Mass.) and Hedtler followed with back-to-back singles before Cooprider delivered a towering three-run home run to put the Jumbos up 4-0.

Bates scored a run on singles by senior Mary Lewis (Gardiner, Maine) and Caroline Gatusso (North Reading, Mass.) in the third. An inning later though, Clair and Beinecke blasted back-to-back home runs to extend the lead to 7-1.

The Bobcats rallied in the sixth, scoring three runs to close the game to 7-4. Alex Eliopoulos (Akron, OH) and Karen Lockhart (East Greenwich, RI) both had rbi singles. Parr responded in the bottom half of the inning with the Jumbos’ fifth home run of the game, a laser-beam to left field to push the lead back to four.

County, who played her high school ball one town over at Arlington HS, continued her excellent first season, slamming the door shut with a perfect seventh inning of relief. County entered the game with a 2-0 record and 2.63 ERA and struck out the first batter she faced before inducing back-to-back ground-outs to end the game.

Raso shined defensively, throwing the leather around at the hot-corner. She made several stellar plays, including a nifty back-hand on a short hop and strong throw in the second inning and a beautiful 5-3 double play, snaring a line-drive smash to end the fourth inning.

Sophomore Steph Tercero (Pasadena, CA) added her first hit of the season, smashing a line-drive to left field after pinch hitting in the fourth inning.

Kelsey Freedman (Falmouth, Maine) took the loss for Bates, allowing 10 hits and eight runs (seven earned) with four strikeouts and two walks in six innings.

The story of the night-cap was Fournier, who began the day with 65 strikeouts in just 35.2 innings pitched and added 11 more before it was over.

The Bobcats led off the second game by reaching on an infield error. It would be their last base runner of the day as Fournier struck out the next three batters and didn’t look back.

Hedtler led off the Tufts first with a double and Cooprider followed with an infield single. The Bobcats cut down the lead runner at third base on back-to-back fielder’s choices, and appeared close to getting out of a jam with two outs and a 1 and 2 count on Holland. But the junior blasted the next pitch she saw deep over the centerfield wall, putting the Jumbos up 3-0.

Tufts added three more runs in the second, with Clair delivering an RBI double and three more in the third as Fournier continued to mow down the Bobcats. Fournier struck out the side in both the third and fourth inning, before sandwiching a pair of 4-3 groundouts around another K to close out the game in the fifth.

Fournier improves to 6-0 on the season with 76 strikeouts and just eight walks in 40.2 innings pitched and now boasts a sub 0.50 ERA. The no-hitter was the fourth of her young career.

Men’s Lacrosse

Curry 11, Husson 10

BANGOR, Maine – Husson goalkeeper John Hooper III (Wakefiled, RI) played an outstanding game in net making 14 saves, in just over 64 minutes of play. The Eagles fell to Curry College in double overtime on Saturday afternoon in a non-conference game.

The emotional match-up between the two teams didn’t lack excitement or heartbreak. Husson jumped out to an early 1-0 goal when Brandon Corbo (Merrimack, NH) scored on a Dillon Shaw (Augusta, Maine) pass. The Colonels answered back with just less than 2 minutes remaining in the first quarter when John Castellano scored unassisted tying it up 1-1.

The Eagles weren’t done for the quarter, Shaw stole the ball away and broke away to find the back of the net on an unassisted goal, steering the Eagles 2-1 into the 2nd quarter.

Curry pulled starting goalie Thomas D’Amato heading into the second half and replaced him with first year Timothy McNair.

The 2nd quarter was mostly Husson seeing Mitch Heaps (York, PA) score 3 goals in the quarter, and Chris Pelletier(Rome, Maine) nab an unassisted score. Sean Ahern scored the lone goal for the Colonels on an assist from Castellano. Husson went into halftime up 6-2.

Castellano scored in the 3rd on a pass from Ronald Jensen edging it to 6-3. Husson’s Shaw scored another unassisted goal, and Dustin Brett (Loudon, NH) added in the scoring finishing the 3rd quarter 8-3 Eagles.

The Colonels had one quarter to catch up and unfortunately for the Eagles they did, Connor McKeon started the scoring in the 4th for Curry making it 8-4, Joseph Natale scored back to back goals, the first unassisted the second from Castellano to make it 8-6.

Pelletier and Chris DelGiudice (Oakland, Maine) matched the two goals from Curry making it 10-6, DelGuidice finding the net after a Brett pass. Castellano and Ahern added a another goal each to close the gap to 10-8. Harrison Foster scored with a little under 5 minutes remaining to close the lead to one goal on a Natale pass. Castellano scored on a Ahern pass tying it up with 3:20 remaining in regulation.

After being peppered by shots in the first overtime, the Eagles escaped sending it into second overtime. With 3:40 remaining in 2OT Jensen scored to clinch the victory for the Colonels, on a pass from Matt Atwood.

Heaps lead the Eagles with 3 goals, Pelletier and Shaw both had 2 goals and an assist. Castellano had 4 goals, including the game winner for Curry, and 2 assists.

Husson falls to 2-5 (1-0) on the season, while Curry improves to 7-2 (0-1). The Eagles will next host the University of Southern Maine on Wednesday, April 3rd at 7:00 p.m.

Saint Joseph’s 14, Emerson 5

PORTLAND, Maine – Saint Joseph’s College (4-6, 3-0 GNAC) skated past Emerson College (2-4, 1-3 GNAC), 14-5, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men’s lacrosse contest at Deering Memorial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Monks opened the game by scoring the first six goals, the last of which coming off the crosse of Dalton Eldridge (South Gardiner, Maine) at the 8:05 mark of the second quarter. The Lions answered with three scores later in the second stanza to cut their deficit down to 6-3 heading into intermission, but a stout Saint Joseph’s defense would allow only two additional markers during the remainder of play en route to a convincing nine-goal conference win.

The Monks’ last line of defense, senior goalkeeper Christopher Driscoll (Saco, Maine), was outstanding in the victory, turning away 13 shots and allowing five goals in 60 minutes between the pipes.

Offensively, Saint Joseph’s was led by sophomore Andrew Sullivan (Rochester, N.H.), who netted four goals in the team’s third-consecutive GNAC triumph. Eldridge netted a trio of tallies while Andrew Hamill (Wolfeboro, N.H.) and Max Meserve (Kennebunk, Maine) produced two goals and a pair of assists apiece on the afternoon. Freshman Austin Watts (Westbrook, Maine) contributed a goal and a pair of helpers while first-year Jake O’Brien (Andover, Mass.) and junior Jake Ricciardi (Sharon, Mass.) both registered a goal and an assist versus the Lions.

Meserve added a team-high six ground balls while senior defender Bryan Johnson (Brookline, N.H.) tallied five ground balls and four caused turnovers on the afternoon.

For the Lions, junior Max Smith (Gillette, N.J.) netted a hat trick and Brandon Lavoie scored a pair of goals in the setback. Senior defender Bill Leopold (Fairfield, Conn.) contributed 11 ground balls and five caused turnovers – both game-high totals – for the visitors.

Emerson keeper Clayton Fisk recorded 16 saves in a losing effort.

With the result, Saint Joseph’s improves to 4-1 in the history of the series with Emerson College and has now defeated the Lions in four-consecutive meetings.

Conn. College 11, Colby 10

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Chad Sawyer had two goals and two assists as Connecticut College fought back from a 7-3 deficit early in the second quarter to take an 11-10 victory over Colby College in New England Small College Athletic Conference men’s lacrosse Saturday at Bill Alfond Field.

Conn College improves to 5-2 overall and 5-1 in the conference, while the Mules fall to 4-3 overall and 1-3 in league play.

Andrew Freedman added three goals, while Pat Leary and Thomas Woessner both had two goals and one assist for the Camels.

All-American Ian Deveau led Colby with five goals and one assist to surpass 150 career points. Deveau has 84 goals and 71 assists for 155 points. He pushed his season totals to 21 goals and seven assists for 28 points.

Colby’s Greg McKillop tied a single-game record for assists with six on the day. Josh Burns had six assists against Plymouth State in 1979 and Billy Bush dished six assists in 1993, also versus Plymouth State.

The Camels battled back to take a 9-8 lead into the final quarter, but Colby’s Garth Franklin scored his third goal of the game just 24 seconds into action to tie the contest at 9-9. Freedman put the Camels up for good with his score from Sawyer with 12:01 to play. Conn College went up 11-9 with 10:33 to play when Stephen Eichler scored unassisted.

The Camels drew further back into their zone defense and neither team could manage a goal for the next 10 minutes. Deveau tallied with 22 seconds left to play from McKillop to cut the margin to 11-10. The Mules’ Bjorn Knutson won the face-off and Colby immediately took a timeout. The Camels did a fine over the final 15 seconds and the Mules could not get off a shot.

Colby again dominated the first quarter of play against the opponent. The Mules led 6-3 after the opening 15 minutes and have outscored the opponent by a 33-12 advantage this season.

Deveau put Colby up 7-3 just 1:17 into the second quarter, but Connecticut College scored the next three goals from Sawyer, Woessner, and Briggs Barton to cut the margin to 7-6. Franklin scored with just 0.2 seconds left to halftime to put Colby up 8-6.

The Camels outscored Colby by a 3-0 margin in the third quarter to take the lead. Leary tallied in a man-up situation and Sawyer and Freedman scored the other two goals. Deveau did hit the post twice in the third quarter.

Bobby Bleistein had 14 saves and scooped up three ground balls for the Camels. Jack Griffin finished with a team-high six ground balls, Jeff Smith had two caused turnovers, and Brendan Schrader and Penn Sednaoui both had three ground balls.

Knutson added six ground balls and one caused turnovers for the Mules. Peter Willauer had a big game with four caused turnovers and four ground balls, while Kenny Jacobson finished with two ground balls and one caused turnover.

Keene State 14, Southern Maine 12

GORHAM, Maine — The Keene State College men’s lacrosse team scored five consecutive goals during an 11-minute span overlapping the third and fourth quarters to erase a two-goal deficit and went on to hold off the University of Southern Maine, 14-12, in Little East Conference action Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

The win improved the Owls overall record to 6-1. The Huskies dropped their second straight to slide to 3-5 overall. The game was the conference opener for both sides.

Southern Maine took a 9-7 lead in the third quarter on goals 31 seconds apart by seniorKayle Hamilton (Buxton, Maine/Bonny Eagle) and sophomore Kaleb Smith (West Gardiner, Maine) before the Owls grabbed the momentum.

Rookie Tyler McKelvie (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro) ignited the string of Keene State goals scoring twice to tie the game with 5:34 to go in the third quarter. Senior Ian Hart (Richmond, N.H./Monadnock) put the Owls ahead for good with his second goal of the game with 1:53 remaining in the third.

Seniors J.T. Galloway (Simsbury, Conn.) and Taylor Wicke (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield-Warde) pushed the Keene State advantage to 12-9 in the first three minutes of the fourth quarter before the Huskies mounted a comeback.

Senior Kyle Baker (Kennebunk, Maine) scored on a great individual effort for USM with 11:07 to play to snap the run of KSC goals. Galloway countered less than two minutes later to restore KSC’s three-goal lead. Baker and Hamilton found the net 53 seconds apart inside five minutes to play to pull USM within one, 13-12.

Sophomore Ryan Hart (Richmond, N.H./Monadnock) iced the game for KSC with 47 seconds to play tallying his second goal of the day.

McKelvie led all goal scorers with five markers on the day for the Owls. Galloway had three goals, and Ryan Hart finished with two goals and two assists for four points. Ian Hart added two goals and one assist.

Sophomore Jack Rogers (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro) earned the win in goal making five saves in 38:53 of play after coming on in relief of freshman starter Alex Sharp (Winchester, Mass.). Sharp had two saves in the opening 21:07.

For the Huskies, Baker, Hamilton and senior Mark White (Oakville, Ontario) each had three goals. Baker also had two assists. Junior Dylan Kenney (Portland, Maine) scored twice while senior Zach Blauvelt (Lewiston, Maine) won 16 of 27 faceoffs and had 13 ground balls. Senior goalie Ryan Hatch (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) made 14 saves in a losing effort.

Roger Williams 12, UNE 6

BIDDEFORD, Maine — The Roger Williams University men’s lacrosse team outscored the University of New England 7-2 in the second half to open up a tight game on its way to a 12-6 Commonwealth Coast Conference win Saturday (March 30) afternoon at the Big Blue Turf.

First-year Will Siefert (Duxbury, Mass.) paced the Hawks (4-4, 2-0 CCC) with four goals. Roger Williams also received two goals each from juniors John Ricciardi (Duxbury, Mass.) and Todd Carson (Pennington, N.J.), as well as first-year Tim Kelly (Ridgefield, Conn.).

Junior Pat Wolfe (Phippsburg, Maine) had a three-goal afternoon to lead the way for UNE (6-3, 1-1), which had a four-game winning streak halted. Juniors Dan O’Gorman (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) and Nick Gross (Kennebunk, Maine) and first-year Sam Cloutier (Lewiston, Maine) accounted for Big Blue’s other scores.

After a tight first half, O’Gorman scored an unassisted goal to knot the match at 5 in the early stages of the third period. RWU would go on to out-score UNE 4-0 the remainder of the frame to seize control of the match. Siefert notched a man-up goal at 10:38 to start the spurt, and the Hawks tallied three times over the final 2:36 of the quarter.

Roger Williams ran off three consecutive goals in the first eight minutes of the final quarter to open up a 12-5 lead before Wolfe scored his third goal of the afternoon to get UNE back into the scoring column.

Sophomore Luke Aubrey (Norwalk, Conn.) made seven saves in the cage for the Hawks, who held slim margins in shots (36-31) and ground balls (43-39). Junior Alan Williams (Bristol, R.I.) won 14 of 22 face-offs for RWU, while first-year Caleb Kenney (Portland, Maine) scooped up a team-best six ground balls.

Senior Nick McMahon (Westfield, Mass.) played a brilliant defensive game for UNE, causing eight Hawk turnovers and coming up with five ground balls. Sophomore Steven Hughes (Flemington, N.J.) was credited with six ground balls. UNE senior goalkeeper Jay Letendre (Southington, Conn.) turned aside nine shots.

Women’s Lacrosse

New England College 14, Husson 4

HENNIKER, N.H. – Husson women’s lacrosse fell to North Atlantic Conference opponent New England College Saturday afternoon, 14-4.

The two teams would battle scoreless through the opening 13 minutes before NEC’s Eleni Hatsis would put in her seventh goal of the season unassisted at the 16:44 mark. Husson would knot the game at 1-1 just two minutes later as Caitlyn Stauffer (Brookfield, CT) would put in a pass from Haley Huntington (West Gardiner, Maine).

The Pilgrims would then apply the offensive pressure closing out the opening half with four unanswered goals, including three by senior Meredith Merce to head into halftime with the 5-1 advantage.

The two teams would exchange goals early in the second half of play before the Pilgrims would go on a 4-0 run building their lead to 10-2. Husson would battle back cutting the lead to 10-4 but again NEC would respond closing out the contest with four straight goals en route to the 14-2 victory.

Leading the way for Husson was Stauffer who scored two goals for the Eagles. Alissa Fallon (Kennebunk, Maine) and Huntington both had 1 goal each.

Leading the way for NEC was Meredith Merce who led all scorers with five goals and two assists. NEC’s Eleni Hatsis finished with two goals and two assists, while Sarah Merrill (Dover, NH.) scored twice and dished out an assist.

NEC finished the game out shooting Husson 33-19.

Picking up the win in net for NEC was Rebecca Harvey (Natick, Mass.) who finished with seven saves. In goal for Husson was Chelsea Kondratowicz (Kingston, N.Y.) who stopped 13 shots.

The loss drops the Eagles to 2-3 on the season and 0-1 in NAC play. Husson will host non-conference in-state foe Colby College on Tuesday, April 2 at Boucher Field.

Colby 11, Conn. College 8

NEW LONDON, Conn.—Sixth ranked Colby College used a 6-0 to pull away from Connecticut College in an 11-8 victory Saturday.

The Mules improve their record to 6-0 and are a perfect 4-0 in NESCAC play. The Camels slip to 2-6 with a 0-6 record in conference action.

Senior Tess Petesch (Rockville, Md.) scored two goals and had one assist for the winning side. Kate Pistel (Amherst, Mass.) and Sara Miller (Andover, Mass.) both scored twice for the Mules. Lindsay McCabe finished with four draw controls.

Junior net-minder Michelle Burt (Woodbridge, Conn.) made 12 saves in the win.

Connecticut College senior Bri Miller (Sudbury, Mass.) scored three goals in the loss for the hosts. Lowell Abbott (Manchester, Mass.) finished with two goals. Caroline Moore (Ridgewood, N.J.) registered three draw controls.

Junior Caitlin Cataldo (Orange, Conn.) stopped six shots in the setback for the Camels.

Colby took control of the game early, scoring three consecutive goals to build a 4-1 advantage. Pistel sparked the rally with a free position goal with 24:43 remaining. With 19:52 to go, Petesch executed with a wraparound move to make it a 3-1 game. Alex Mintz (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) made it a 4-1 game with her goal at the 13:12 mark.

But the Camels bounced back. Bri Miller netted a runner from the right side of the cage with 12:24 remaining to make it a 4-2 score. Then, with 11:33 to play, Taylor Thomas (Needham, Mass.) split a pair of Colby defenders and finished with authority to make it a 4-3 game. Cecily Cushman (Marblehead, Mass.) supplied the equalizer with a free position goal at the 8:14 mark and the game was knotted up at four.

Colby responded though and the visitors ended the half with three consecutive goals to take a 7-4 lead. In the second stanza, Petesch scored 1:12 out of the bread with a wraparound move. Sara Miller scored the next two goals, capping the 6-0 run with 17:38 to go to put Colby in control with a 10-4 lead.

Connecticut College used two goals from Abbott and Miller’s third goal of the contest with 10:32 left to cut the lead to 11-7. With 4:04 remaining, Haley Dumke (Scarsdale, N.Y.) added another score.

But the hosts could not get any closer and the Mules were able to hold on for the 11-8 win.

Colby held a slim 11-to-10 advantage in draw controls while the Camels enjoyed a 14-9 edge in ground balls.

Southern Maine 8, Keene State 7

GORHAM, Maine — Junior Rosie Forster (Andover, Mass.) scored a goal with 9.9 seconds left on the clock to break a 7-7 tie and push the University of Southern Maine Huskies women’s lacrosse team past the Keene State College Owls, 8-7, in both team’s opening Little East Conference matchup at Hannaford Field Saturday afternoon.

With the win, the Huskies improve 5-2 overall and 1-0 in the LEC. The Owls drop to 2-5 and 0-1 in conference play.

Forster took a pass from sophomore Jill Whitelaw (Kennebunk, Maine) deep in the Huskies’ zone, and ran the length of the field before making a move past a Keene defender and beating Keene junior goaltender Erin Taylor (Brewster, N.Y.) to complete the hat trick and give the Southern Maine the win. The goal was Forster’s 16th of the year. Forster also dished out one assist, picked up two ground balls, and won a game-high six draw controls.

Junior Jacki Kelly (Brunswick, Maine) continued her solid 2013 campaign with three goals, one assist, two ground balls, and two draw controls. Kelly leads the team with 21 goals. FreshmenAnh Nguyen (South Portland, Maine) and Shauna Robert (Lyman, Maine/Massabesic) also scored goals for Southern Maine.

Keene State junior Julie Trombetta (Trumbull, Conn.) led the Owls with two goals and three ground balls. Seniors Lauren Brown (Agawam, Mass.) and Nicole Curry (Hampstead, N.H./Pinkerton), junior Eliza Witherbee (Newburyport, Mass/Oldfields School), sophomoreLindsay Conroy (Londonderry, N.H.), and freshman Kaitlin Nolan (Mahopac, N.Y.) scored one goal apiece for the Owls.

Southern Maine junior goalie Kim Vogel (Sanford, Maine) earned the win making 14 saves on the day. Taylor, who stopped 10 Southern Maine shots, was tagged with the loss.

Southern Maine took a 2-0 lead off goals from Kelly and Robert 26 seconds apart in the 11th minute of first half. Keene would claw its way back, cutting the Southern Maine lead to 2-1 with a goal from Nolan at 16:59, and tying the score on Trombetta’s first goal at 14:58.

Nguyen scored just over three minutes later at 11:54 to put the Huskies up 3-2, but Curry answered with a goal for Keene with 6:06 to play in the half, tying it 3-3 heading into the break.

The Huskies came out of the halftime break and scored three unanswered goals to take a 6-3 lead with 18:22 remaining. The run was highlight by two goals from Kelly, and a goal by Forster off an assist from Kelly.

Keene fought back once again with goals from Trombetta and Witherbee to cut the Huskies’ lead to 6-5 with seven minutes remaining. Forster then scored an unassisted goal 19 seconds later to put the Huskies up 7-5, but Keene went on another two-goal swing with goals by Conroy and Brown in the final three minutes to tie it 7-7. After a Keene State turnover in front of Vogel, Whitelaw picked up the ground ball and passed it to Forster who raced the length of the field for the game winner.

Simmons 15, Saint Joseph’s 10

BOSTON, Mass. — Simmons Lacrosse defeated the Saint Joseph’s (Me.) Monks, 15-10 to remain a perfect 5-0 in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference Saturday morning at the Winsor School field. The Sharks joined together with the American Cancer Society and Coaches vs. Cancer for today’s game in an effort to raise money for skin cancer research.

Simmons scored two quick goals as Ashley Sheehan (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Callie Warnock (Kingston, Mass.) beat Monks goalkeeper Haley Nason to give the Sharks the lead. Saint Joseph’s leading scoring Cassie Diplock cut the lead to one two minutes later. The Sharks took a 4-1 lead when Stephanie Oliveri (Waltham, Mass.) picked a corner and Leanne Luke (Newton, Mass.) scored her fourth goal of the year off a free position shot.

But the Monks clawed back as Diplock beat Sharks keeper Kelly Last (West Haven, Conn.) down low and Anneka Adame slipped two quick goals past the Simmons defense to bring tie the game at four.

Callie Warnock scored unassisted to give the Sharks a 5-4 lead with 17:38 remaining in the first but Monks junior Macy Pagurko scored on a free position shot and sophomore Lizzie Calnan scored on a bounce shot as the Monks took their first lead of the game.

Simmons tied the game at six as Oliveri rolled the crease and beat Nason before sophomore Wellie Antonellis (Keene, N.H.) scored her first goal of the year to retake the lead for the Sharks. Freshman Greer Gilbert (Falmouth, Mass.) added two final goals for Simmons to end the half up 9-6.

The Sharks never trailed in the second half but the Monks were relentless in their attack with goals by Kat Gadbois, Mary Leasure, Adame and Pagurko. After leading by three for over ten minutes in the second, Simmons opened up their offense as Rachel Wallace (Braintree, Mass.) added two goals and Sheehan added a final goal with one second remaining on the clock to give the Sharks a 15-10 victory.

Simmons held the advantage in draw controls, 15-10 and in shots 37-30. Last picked up her fifth win of the season with 12 saves on 22 shots while Nason picked up the loss with 10 saves.

Roger Williams 18, UNE 17

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Sophomore Kristen Pingree (Georgetown, Mass.) and first-year Lauren Piotrowski (Wakefield, Mass.) each scored three second-half goal as Roger Williams University rallied from an 10-7 halftime deficit to take an 18-17 Commonwealth Coast Conference women’s lacrosse victory over the University of New England Saturday (March 30) afternoon at the Big Blue Turf.

The win puts the Hawks at the .500 mark (4-4) for the season while improving their conference record to 2-0. UNE (3-5, 1-1 CCC) saw its three-game win streak come to an end.

Pingree finished with four goals for Roger Williams. Piotrowski and sophomore Samantha Davenport (Bethel, Conn.) scored three goals apiece, while juniors Danielle Neagle (Avon, Conn.) and Jessica Searl (Glastonbury, Conn.) and sophomore Kelsey Rahilly (East Longmeadow, Mass.) each chipped in with a pair.

For UNE, junior Hannah Tavella (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) contributed six goals and sophomore Gina Newsome (Danbury, Conn.) four. Sophomore Macki Hill (York Beach, Maine) added two markers.

Down three at the break, Roger Williams surrendered the opening two goals of the second half to fall behind 12-7. Piotrowski would tally three goals and Pingree added one over the next four minutes to get the visitors within one (12-11).

After Tavella’s fifth goal of the afternoon pushed UNE’s lead back up to two (13-11), the Hawks tallied three of the next four goals to square the contest at 14. Searl’s goal with 15:19 remaining gave Roger Williams the lead for good, then Pingree sandwiched a pair of goals around another tally by Searl to push the Hawks’ lead to 18-14.

UNE would challenge late, scoring three more times in the final 5:16 to get within one (18-17).

Roger Williams sophomore Mackenzie Logan (Sussex, N.J.) was dominant on the draw, racking up a total of 13 draw controls to help RWU lead 22-14 in that category. Logan added four ground balls and three caused turnovers.

Junior Johanna Currier (Holderness, N.H.) had five ground balls and three draw controls for Big Blue, while senior Nicolle Steel (Ocean City, N.J.) chipped in four draw controls, three caused turnovers and three ground balls.

Senior goalkeeper Justine Sullivan (Norwell, Mass.) had nine saves for the Hawks, while UNE first-year Courtney Kendall (Waltham, Mass.) turned aside 11 shots.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like