June 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Man leads police on foot chase after allegedly assaulting family member; nearby school locked down as precaution

Penobscot County Jail | Penobscot County Jail
Penobscot County Jail | Penobscot County Jail
Sean Eberhart
By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

HAMPDEN, Maine — A foot pursuit of a Brewer man accused of assaulting a female family member Thursday wound up forcing a lockdown of the Weatherbee elementary school in Hampden, police said.

Hampden police Officer Joel Small and Sgt. Scott Webber had gone to Angelo’s Pizza to arrest 31-year-old Sean Eberhart on domestic violence assault charges when he eluded both officers and bolted toward the school, Small said Friday.

Small said Eberhart assaulted the woman as they were en route to the pizzeria where Eberhart works, and she notified Hampden police after going to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for treatment.

“I took the report and based on what she told me, there was probable cause to arrest him,” said Small, adding that the whole incident started around 10 a.m.

Eberhart is a suspect who is no stranger to Hampden police, Small said.

“He has run on us in the past,” said Small.

Webber positioned himself at the rear door of the pizzeria and Small at the front, and the sergeant confronted Eberhart walking out the back door, according to Small.

“Then he slammed the back door and ran out through the front,” said Small.

Eberhart ran toward the elementary school, so Sgt. Dan Stewart, the school resource officer, decided a lockdown was necessary.

“I guess what made it a little more concerning was the fact that he was very desperate,” said Small. “We were looking for him for a few hours.”

Small said that no children were ever in any danger.

Police were unable to locate Eberhart, so Small issued a bulletin. Around 8:30 p.m., Bangor police notified their Hampden comrades that Eberhart had been found in the Queen City, and Hampden police came and picked him up.

Eberhart was brought to Penobscot County Jail, where he remained pending a Friday court appearance, Small said. The domestic violence charge will be elevated to a felony due to prior arrests on the same count, according to Small.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like