Electrical short seen as cause of Presque Isle apartment fire

Posted March 26, 2013, at 4:26 p.m.
Last modified March 27, 2013, at 9:30 a.m.

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — An investigator with the state fire marshal’s office said on Tuesday evening that the fire at an apartment house that left at least 10 residents homeless Sunday evening was accidental in nature.

Tim Lowell, an investigator with the office, said that an electrical short in an extension cord cannot be ruled out as the source of the fire. He said that the blaze started on the second floor in a back bedroom of Apartment H in the building.

The fire at the Main Street apartment complex was reported just after 5 p.m. Sunday. The building is located between Rite Aid and Governor’s Restaurant.

There were eight apartments in the building with about 10 residents among them.

All occupants got out safely and firefighters rescued two pet cats from an apartment.

Twenty-six firefighters from Presque Isle were on the scene for five hours with mutual aid from the Caribou and Easton fire departments.

By Sunday evening all of the displaced occupants had been connected with representatives of the Red Cross.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business