Toby Keith returning to play Bangor Waterfront

Toby Keith performs at the Bangor Waterfront during a stop on his Locked and Loaded tour on Saturday, July 9, 2011.
Kevin Bennett | BDN
Toby Keith performs at the Bangor Waterfront during a stop on his Locked and Loaded tour on Saturday, July 9, 2011. Buy Photo
By Andrew Neff, BDN Staff
Posted March 25, 2013, at 6:30 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — Just over two years after coming to the Bangor waterfront “Locked & Loaded,” country music star Toby Keith will be back with the “Hammer Down.”

The multiplatinum recording star with 53 Top 20 Billboard country singles — 20 of those No.1 songs — to his credit will return to play Darling’s Waterfront Pavilion Monday, Sept. 2 with special guest and opening act Kip Moore.

The 51-year-old three-time BMI Country Songwriter/Artist of the Year is promoting his 16th studio album — “Hope on the Rocks” — with a nationwide summer tour starting June 8 in Arkansas. The man who has sold more than 37 million copies of his albums in 22 years and generated more than 20 million views of his viral video “Red Solo Cup” is no stranger to commercial success.

“He’s just so huge, his concert dates kind of transcend whatever date or day of the week he’s playing,” said Alex Gray, Waterfront Concerts chief promoter. “Like Kenny Chesney, he just keeps on cranking out hits and filling seats everywhere.

“And Kip Moore is red-hot right now. He sold out House of Blues in Boston last night so he’s really riding a wave,” Gray said.

His Sept. 2 Maine show comes one day after Keith plays Essex Junction, Vt., and is currently the second to last stop on the 21-date tour.

“He’s not really touring in a traditional sense — doing a lot of festivals and fairs — and apparently he was quite interested in coming back to Bangor, so we were able to make it happen,” Gray said.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, March 29. Prices are $37.75 for lawn and $51.75, $71.75, $91.75 and $101.75 for reserved seating. There are also a limited number of two-for-$44 Hell Raiser seats and $92.75 general admission pit seats between the front of the stage and the “thrust” — the front of the first row of reserved seats — of the T-shaped walkway and small stage projecting from the main stage.

Tickets are available at Mark’s Music at Penobscot Square in Brewer, by phone at 800-745-3000, online at www.waterfrontconcerts.com or at all Ticketmaster outlets.

Keith’s tours, including last year’s “Live in Overdrive Tour,” have consistently drawn more than a million fans annually. Forbes has called Keith one of the very top-earning entertainers and musicians in the world. In 2011, his Bangor July 9 show was a sellout, drawing an estimated 14,000 fans.

Keith’s is the 10th show announced for the 2013 Waterfront Concerts season.

“It’s still really early right now being the third week of March, but even with 10 acts confirmed for the season there’s still a lot of work left to be done and potential stuff out there,” said Gray. “I feel like we think we’re probably going to get close to 20 concert dates this year.”

Gray said the early fast pace of signing shows has resulted from a combination of the buzz that’s been out there in the industry from artists who have already played Bangor and the work that Waterfront Concerts and the City of Bangor have done to continue to upgrade the facility as well as the quantity and quality of acts booked.

“We’re definitely ahead of schedule from the last couple years, but a lot of that has to do with the work done by the city staff and officials, and us having a an already-existing site that’s confirmed, and now also being renovated and ready to go,” he added.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/25/living/toby-keith-returning-to-play-bangor-waterfront/ printed on August 2, 2014