Fire damages house in Fairfield

Posted March 21, 2013, at 9:43 a.m.
Last modified March 21, 2013, at 12:28 p.m.

FAIRFIELD, Maine — No injuries were reported in a fire that was blamed on faulty electrical wires at a Norridgewock Road rental house on Wednesday afternoon.

Fairfield Fire Chief Duane Bickford said Thursday morning crews from Fairfield, Norridgewock, Waterville and Oakland managed to get the fire under control in about 30 minutes. The blaze was reported at approximately 1:07 p.m.

The single-family, one-story home’s roof was heavily damaged, Bickford said, but repairs can be made.

“It’s just all gutted inside,” said Bickford.

Heavy smoke was pouring out of the roof when firefighters arrived, the chief said, but the quick response enabled crews to contain the fire to the attic.

Bickford said the house is rented by a man and his girlfriend. Their landlord reportedly has insurance on the house, and many of the couple’s items were salvaged.

The Red Cross is providing the renters with assistance, including a place to stay, the chief said.

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business