University of Maine’s Memorial Union evacuated briefly after kitchen fire

By Nick McCrea, BDN Staff
Posted March 19, 2013, at 11:11 a.m.

ORONO, Maine — Memorial Union at the University of Maine was evacuated for a short time Tuesday morning after a small fire broke out in the kitchen, according to a university spokeswoman.

The fire flared up in the union’s marketplace around 10:30 a.m., prompting a response by Orono Fire Department and the evacuation of the building.

“A couple hundred people were in the building at the time,” university spokeswoman Margaret Nagle said Tuesday.

Students and staff were allowed back inside around 11 a.m. There were no injuries, Nagle said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/19/news/bangor/university-of-maines-memorial-union-evacuated-briefly-after-kitchen-fire/ printed on July 26, 2014