June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Bangor man pulls knife on store security, charged with felony robbery, police say

Courtesy of Bangor Police Department
Courtesy of Bangor Police Department
Jeremy R. Lau
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A local man with a long history of arrests was seen Saturday evening trying to take approximately $100 worth of steaks from Shaw’s grocery store and then pulled a knife when confronted by store security personnel, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Monday.

Jeremy R. Lau, 37, who also lists a Plymouth address, was arrested and charged with Class B robbery and Class C theft shortly after the 5:20 p.m. shoplifting incident, Edwards said. Officers found him at an Ohio Street residence and took him to Penobscot County Jail, where he remained Monday.

“Lau was seen concealing steaks” and then took off running, Edwards said of the Saturday arrest. Two store security personnel were in pursuit, “when he stopped running and brandished the knife,” the sergeant said.

Lau, who has a “long record,” according to Edwards, told the store security personnel to back off, which they did, the sergeant said. No one was injured in the robbery, he said.

Lau has a number of convictions on his record, some that included prison sentences, according to court listings printed in the Bangor Daily News. His most recent conviction was for falsifying physical evidence, which earned him 82 days in jail, according to June 2012 BDN court listings.

Lau also has convictions for unlawful possession of scheduled drugs; assault; criminal mischief; aggravated criminal trespass; failing to stop, remain, and provide information after an accident; operating a vehicle after habitual offender license revocation; refusing to submit to arrest or detention; five counts of violating conditions of his release; and three counts of theft by unauthorized taking or transfer.

“The theft is a Class C [felony] because of his priors,” Edwards said.

Lau’s first court appearance on the felony robbery and theft was scheduled for Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center but was continued, a jail official said late Monday afternoon.

“He’s still here,” he said.

Correction: A previous version of this story stated Lau went before Superior Court Justice John Nivison on Monday. The case was continued and Lau did not make an appearance.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like