Bangor man guilty of unlawful sexual contact, placed on sex offender registry for life

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff
Posted March 18, 2013, at 3:22 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A local man will spend three months behind bars after pleading guilty Monday to unlawful sexual contact with a young girl.

Peter Thibodeau, 25, was scheduled to go on trial at the Penobscot Judicial Center, but ended up accepting a plea agreement instead. He was sentenced to five years in prison with all but three months suspended. He is required to register on the Maine Sex Offender Registry, Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, said shortly after the court session ended.

“He has to register for a lifetime,” Roberts said of Thibodeau.

“He was charged with one count of unlawful sexual contact with a girl under the age of 12,” the prosecutor said earlier.

The crime was reported in early September 2011 and the jury was selected last week for the trial. The young victim, who was wearing a purple backpack with green peace signs, did not have to testify and was seen leaving the courthouse surrounded by family.

As Roberts and Thibodeau’s attorney, Stephen Smith of Bangor, prepared for the trial to begin, a boxful of paperwork from the Department of Health and Human Services arrived “with some information” that led to the last minute plea agreement, Roberts said.

Thibodeau, who was dressed in a black suit and shirt, was given a 48-hour stay of his sentence, and must surrender to the Penobscot County Jail on Wednesday, his attorney said. He left the courthouse with three people.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/18/news/bangor/bangor-man-guilty-of-unlawful-sexual-contact-placed-on-sex-offender-registry-for-life/ printed on August 28, 2014