UNION, Maine — A fire destroyed a Marrs Hill Road home early Saturday morning.
The fire at the one-and-a-half story New England cape-style home owned by Barbara and John Worden was accidental, according to Union Fire Chief Barry Norris. He said he wanted to check on one more thing Monday before he released the detailed cause.
There were no injuries. Fire crews from Union, Warren, Waldoboro, Hope, Appleton and Washington responded to the fire, which was reported shortly after midnight.
Union firefighter Randy Scott was returning home when he spotted the flames shooting out of the second floor of the Worden home, which is located at the end of the 1,400-foot-long dead end road. Crews remained on the scene until 6:30 a.m.
The owners of the home did not live there but lived at another Union home. The home was used to store items, including many antiques, Norris said. He said the effort of firefighters allowed some items to be saved, although they will need to be cleaned.
He estimated damage to the home at 152 Marrs Hill Road — assessed by the town at $79,500 — and contents at $150,000. The couple was insured, the chief said.