House fire leaves Burlington man homeless

Posted March 11, 2013, at 4:03 p.m.

BURLINGTON, Maine — A town man was left homeless when a fire gutted his Goodwin Drive residence on Sunday, Deputy Fire Chief Frank Hammond Jr. said Monday. No one was injured.

The fire, Hammond said, appeared to start on the right side of the house near a wood stove and chimney. When firefighters arrived within 15 minutes of the 6:20 p.m. alert, they could see smoke and flames through a window and along the exterior of the house’s right side.

“We had some pretty significant fire-spread,” Hammond said Monday.

Fire Capt. Randy Sutherland and third-generation firefighter Jacob Hammond, Frank’s son, attempted to douse the fire from inside the home. They got through the door and about halfway to two-thirds of the way into the first floor before conditions made being inside the home too dangerous, Hammond said.

“The fire was just too intense. We pulled them out,” Deputy Chief Hammond said. “They made a good push on the fire.”

A report that the homeowner, whom Hammond declined to identify, was still inside the house turned out to be false, Hammond said. The fire continued to spread from the first story into the second-story attachment as firefighters attempted to douse the blaze.

About 22 firefighters from Burlington, Lowell and Passadumkeag responded. The latter departments were automatically notified, Hammond said. Ten Burlington firefighters responded to the call.

The fire was originally reported as being at 240 Long Ridge Road, but was actually behind that address. The American Red Cross was notified to help the homeowner, Hammond said.

The fire did not appear to have a suspicious origin so the Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office was not notified, Hammond said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Penobscot